Building a gun safe

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The safe I have is too small and is a cheap stack on. It has served the purpose but I've been shopping for a replacement. The larger Fatboy type safes are all well over a grand. Locks can be had for just over $50 and I can't see how it would take more than $250 in steel, plus building your own stuff is pretty fun.
AM I crazy for even considering it?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Guess it just depends on how fire proof you want it. If you built your own, I think you'd want to essentially build a box inside of a box with a large air gape between them which would allow the outside to get nice and hot, but hopefully keep the inside box much cooler. That would probably require two separate doors though.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think it would be cool, basically a reverse fireplace is what I'm picturing with similar seals. I know some safes use gypsum (sheetrock) for insulation.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've bought a couple larger (18 gun?) stack on cabinets, and they seem to do a good job. I carpeted mine inside for a little better finish. They are not fire proof, but they do a fine job of keeping kids and crooks out. I think I paid less than $200 for each one.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have had several friends who worked at Liberty Safe. They said the fire protection is X type sheet rock. My dad has had several customers bring him guns from safes that were in house fires. The stocks typically melt if synthetic or are cooked to barn wood, scopes normally explode or are not usable. So the fire rating is not that critical to me. I will likely put any safe, bought or built in a custom built closet against two exterior walls, double covered with sheet rock. That is what I've read gives you the best chance of fire survival.

I am considering the "gun locker" in the custom closet approach. Wranglerstar has a video with some logical benefits of having two or three cabinets vs one large safe. Dispersed risk, thieves need to overcome multiple locks to get all your stuff, tactical advantage of having guns in multiple rooms/floors.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I am considering the "gun locker" in the custom closet approach. Wranglerstar has a video with some logical benefits of having two or three cabinets vs one large safe. Dispersed risk, thieves need to overcome multiple locks to get all your stuff, tactical advantage of having guns in multiple rooms/floors.

I like this idea... Though I know if I spread around to different floors I'd get into one safe looking for a specific item just to realize it's on another floor. ?

Caleb

I like this idea... Though I know if I spread around to different floors I'd get into one safe looking for a specific item just to realize it's on another floor. ?

I already do that between my home and my cabin. I forget I leave guns in the safe up there and then I can't find them and go looking through my safe here at my house pulling my hair out.

I like this idea of building your own safe. I bet it could be done far cheaper than buying something and I'm certain it would be at least as stout as the commercial offerings.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I have had several friends who worked at Liberty Safe. They said the fire protection is X type sheet rock. My dad has had several customers bring him guns from safes that were in house fires. The stocks typically melt if synthetic or are cooked to barn wood, scopes normally explode or are not usable. So the fire rating is not that critical to me. I will likely put any safe, bought or built in a custom built closet against two exterior walls, double covered with sheet rock. That is what I've read gives you the best chance of fire survival.

This is correct. I used to work at Liberty safe when I was a youngster. I recall the fire proofing as being 2 layers of sheet rock.
Keep in mind that no safe is "fire proof". They'll just be "fire resistant", meaning the internal goods can withstand up to X temp for Y time. I remember reading somewhere that many / most house fires exceed X temp and Y time...

Keep us posted, I'd love to see what you build.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Sounds like a fun build. I'll offer up welding and plasma cutting help :) Might be a good excuse to try dual-shield flux core wire.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
People make DIY concrete countertops all the time. What about using that technology to build a closet?
That is a thought. I have a split entry house so even the basement only has 1/2 the wall as concrete. A box built of concrete with a vault door would be great. The door would be the easiest thing to build too.