Gear / Accessories Building a OUT (Overland Utility Trailer)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
One of our vendors on here, @Anchor_Mtn , offers a DIY Overland Utility Trailer kit that I thought looked very interesting, the price is great compared to the many other options and the build quality is quite high. It caught my attention as I'm capable of fabricating the frame, fenders, etc and can save money on a completed trailer by doing that work myself. You are provided a serial number with your tub as well, and registering your new AMO OUT as a 'home built trailer kit' is a simple process!

The tubs are modeled after the famous M101 and with the kit you can choose what options you want to add. Justin @ Anchor_Mtn is happy to customize your order to help you get what you want in the end. Most of his builds are complete OUT's or his really neat Enduro Trailer, which are turn-key units. You can even choose to have a OUT fitted with a Roof Top Tent, Water Tank and Pump, Kitchenette, etc, etc... the options are really endless. Since Anchor Mountain is in Western Colorado, it was easy for me to stop by and see a completed trailer before I pulled the trigger. I do hear that he will be at the EJS Vendor Show with a booth for 2018!

Here's a pic of the finished and outfitted OUT's -

out10_1024x1024.jpg

Anyhow.... my build it going to be pretty basic, going to run YJ springs, a standard straight trailer axle, factory JK wheels and no lid over the box. I do plan to add a 2' cargo area at the front of the trailer like Justin does, for hauling things like firewood, extra gas or whatever else I don't want inside the box. It sure would be nice to have a fresh water tank and some kind of pump, for cleaning up. I want to add a tube mount over the bed for a RTT in the future, too. I will probably coat it with Monstaliner, it seems to take a beating and still look good. My timeline isn't set, but it sure would be nice to have the trailer finished by Summer-time so we can use it on camping trips.

My tub was dropped off tonight, with the additions I choose and the ever important Serial Number tag. -

20180323_210626-L.jpg

20180323_210702-L.jpg

20180323_210708-L.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
I think Anchor Mtn trailers are the best looking on the market. Priced VERY competitive too.

I agree, they look great. And yeah, if you price out what others are pricing similar trailers, its impossible to beat AMO's prices.

SN005 eh? They have only made 4 other trailer boxes of this model I take it?

They have different box sizes and the Enduro trailers, but yeah... 5th one of this size. Anchor Mtn is a small shop, they hand build their trailers and take the time to do it right. It's not like they employ 10+ guys, cranking out trailers. ;) One of their previous trailers recently took a trip to Baja, up and down the peninsula without issue. They're well proven and built to last.

Greg

Admin
Dang, I even re-read it and still missed it. :rofl: #facepalm

I was thinking the other day that some kind of canvas cover with possibly buttons to secure it would be nice. Keep most dust and dirt out of the inside of the tub and keep the contents somewhat secured... at least out of sight from people with sticky fingers, when we're not near the trailer. Not totally in love with the idea of canvas and buttons, but it would be easy to work around.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I was thinking the other day that some kind of canvas cover with possibly buttons to secure it would be nice. Keep most dust and dirt out of the inside of the tub and keep the contents somewhat secured... at least out of sight from people with sticky fingers, when we're not near the trailer. Not totally in love with the idea of canvas and buttons, but it would be easy to work around.

@mesha should probably post pictures of the tarp/cover thing he had made for his trailer. ;) It's the same/similar material I used for the tarp on mine, which is some type of vinyl--same stuff they use for semi-truck tarps. Maybe @RogueJeepr can enlighten us on what weight they are, or however they're measured. :D

Anyway, there are some things I like about his better than what I did--namely, it's a "box" type top instead of a flat tarp like mine. (think shoebox lid) That makes it more dust/water proof by far, and easier to put on since you just slip it on like a fitted bedsheet.

To secure it, Davy's uses a strap that runs around the edge, through his tie-down loops. It works well, but I'm not sure I love the need to "thread" the strap around. It is a cleaner way to secure it than my bungee balls though. But you could maybe combine the two--make a box-style cover, but attach bungees to it so you don't have to mess with loose fasteners? They'd need to be removable/replaceable for sure though.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
This is intriguing. @Anchor_Mtn, are you guys locked into those tub dimensions or could you go longer?

Like @Hickey said, we offer the tub in a 5ft and 6ft length as well as an option for an aluminum lid in either length.

The rest of the dimensions are locked in though. 49" wide outside to outside on the floor, 53" wide at the top rails and 21" deep. Tailgate openings are roughly 34.5"W x 18.5" tall.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
How well do these tubs seal up with the roof? Are they able to keep dust out when on dirt?

Our seals keep dust and water out very well. We use a 3/16" foam rubber gasket that is sandwiched between the flat surface of the trailer and the flat surface on the bottom of our lid. We even add a inside "lip" to make sure your gear stays dry even in the wettest areas. Im not going to say they are dust proof because I dont think anything can keep out 100% of that Moab silt but they do a very, very good job. You will get more dust in the trailer at camp than you will going down the road. Im currently using a flat seal on the tailgate as well but we will be switching to a thicker bulb seal on the next run of trailers. The flat seals do well but I thing the bulb seals will do even better since the tailgates dont clamp down with the same force as the lids.
20180301_142554.jpg 20180301_162211.jpg
We have even had a customer cross the Mojave River and have all his contents stay completely dry inside.
Screenshot_20180110-095144.jpg

Greg

Admin
Here we go!

I picked up a 3,500 # trailer axle that is 63" wide with a 5 X 5" bolt pattern, same pattern as the JKU. No brakes on the trailer axle, for now. The frame material is 2 x 3 x .120 wall. The springs I'll be using at the Rubicon Express 1444's, which are essentially a 5 leaf YJ spring with reverse, military wrap ends and provide 1.5" lift over a stock spring. They are built to hold up to heavy loads, so I think they'll do well under a trailer. Also bought spring parts from Barnes Offroad.

20180515_193921.jpg20180515_192424.jpg

20180515_191934.jpg

Last edited: