I've had a lot going on the last couple months and have been pretty distracted, resulting in little work getting done on the trailer. But finally, I've been able to work on some of the finishing details and get closer to having this thing ready for a trip!
One of the big things was skinning the fenders, I picked up some 16 gauge and had it sheered to the sizes I needed. I secured it with some self-taping screws, to make the panels removable. I spray painted the skins and I'm not super happy with it. At some point in the future, I'll pull the pieces off and have them coated with bed liner or Monstaliner and DIY them. In the future, I may replace the self-tapping screws with pop-rivets.
Next up was finishing the trailer wiring. I'm not the biggest fan of wiring, but when I have to do it, I want it done right. I soldered the joints, wrapped the wire with loom, etc.... trying to do it right the first time. I added some small 3/4" square tubing under the trailer that the light wiring runs thru, so all the wiring is safe from harm. Also secured any exposed bits with zip ties. I used all LED lights and they're incredibly bright!
Another thing was securing the 20 gallon water tank and figuring out the plumbing. I secured the tank on the sides with some 4" wide 16 gauge. I think I'm going to keep the plumbing simple, just want to be able to fill & drain the tank. Both those tasks will be done from the side and underneath the trailer.
I was finally able to bolt the tub in place and to the frame for what should/better be the last time! I ran some 2" wide and 3/8" rubber between the frame and tub, hoping for silent use from them both. With the tub bolted down, I was able to get the lid on as well as the tailgate. I bolted the hinges on, added weatherstripping and also locking latches.
It's getting close! I have a lot of respect for @Anchor_Mtn for building these as fast as he does! It's a lot of work and he knocks them out!
Today was a big day, first real trip out with the OUT! I have some finishing work to do and some minor tweaks, but it pulls great behind the F150. I set it up to tow behind the Jeep JKU, but the hitch on the Ford is lower than the Jeep, so the trailer is leaning forward slightly. I'll probably pick up a 2nd hitch and put another reciever on it that's the right height for the truck. I also need to shorten the safety chains up, add hooks, etc. Soon I'll wrap up the plumbing for the water tank, mount the RTT to the lid and add struts to help with opening the lid with the RTT on it. I bought a set of 1" lift shackles, because I'm worried about the tires bottoming out on the fenders once it's fully loaded. I'll also add some bump stops to prevent any tire/trailer interference.
All said, it pulls great. It's empty of course, but it tracks great behind the truck.... you can hardly tell it's there. I need to get it weighed soon, just out of curiosity.
Got the gas assist struts mounted to the lid today, they're rated for 250#'s each. I built a 2"x2" square for a mount on the tub and aluminum angle iron on the lid. I wanted to mount the RTT, but I think I'll need to build a bracket to space it off the lid of the trailer, because I the bolts for the hinge mount are perfectly in the way of the RTT mount. I think I'll have some 1/8" sheetmetal bent up in a 3" x 4" x 3" C-channel an bolt the RTT to that.
I set the lid to open at about 80 degrees, so I have easy access to all corners of the tub. If it ends up being too much, I can move the strut mount on the lid end for a little less. I'm hoping with the weight of the RTT this degree of opening will be fine.