Gear / Accessories Building a OUT (Overland Utility Trailer)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
:cool:

First tow with the OUT! It's been close for some time, just had to order my Max Coupler hitch, which arrived tonight. I ordered it from Justin @Anchor_Mtn , he has been pretty patient with me collecting additional parts as the build progressed.

It's hardly legal, but I had to drag it around the neighborhood real quick for a test and see how it pulled. Still need to weld up additional crossmembers, mount the water tank, build fenders, wire up lights, paint, mount tub, etc, etc.... but FIRST TOW!!
20180730_201431.jpg20180730_184642.jpg20180730_184615.jpg20180730_184537.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
How much on-board electrical are you planning? Just tail lights/markers?

A little more than just the trailer lighting.

I want to keep it pretty simple, but there will be a 12v pump for water. Still undecided about how I'll power it, I was thinking about a small lithium-ion motorcycle battery like an Earthex and a small solar panel somewhere. I don't know much about this stuff though, so I have some research to do. I plan to leave my fridge in the Jeep and don't believe I'll need anything else wired up on the trailer.

Greg

Admin
I started working on this over the last weekend, spent half a day chasing materials and thinking about how to mount the tub to the frame, building fenders, mounting the water tank & pump, etc. I ended up adding 8 gussets and drilled holes in them for mounting the tub to the frame. I plan to run a 2" wide piece of rubber between the tub and frame.... probably not needed, but it makes me feel better. I also added 2 more cross-members and welded in a piece of expanded steel for the cargo carrier part at the front of the trailer.

20180831_103216-L.jpg

20180831_121622-L.jpg

20180831_124048-L.jpg

20180831_125001-L.jpg

20180831_131035-L.jpg

I wanted to build the fenders out of 2" square .120 wall tube, but didn't have enough material. I ended up using angle iron, which I'm not too excited about. I think it's turning out well and I have plans to extend the fenders forward and will probably do that with 2" square next time I can pick some up. I plan to skin the fenders with sheetmetal and possibly rivet the sheetmetal in place, rather than weld.

20180831_192218-L.jpg

I really wanted to start painting the frame over the long Labor Day weekend, but ended up catching a cold that knocked me on my ass Saturday morning. I didn't make any more progress at that point on.... talk about a wasted weekend! :mad: Hopefully this next weekend will be better and I can make some real progress.

Greg

Admin
Well, huge progress today! The tub is mounted to the frame, the fenders are built (still need to be skinned), there's a 20 gallon water tank for fresh water mounted down low, etc. I have some finish welding to do, but should be able to paint the frame tomorrow!

From here, it will be a matter of prepping and painting the tub and adding all the hardware, door and lid.

20180907_195928.jpg20180908_104345.jpg20180908_104429.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
That's perfect. I really like the water tank hidden in there.

Yeah, it's a good fit and perfect location... forward of the axle for weight distribution and down low for a low center of gravity. I like how it's not really visible, too. The bottom of it hangs only 5" below the frame, so there's plenty of ground clearance still.

20180908_123224.jpg