Jeep Building the RockyMountainExtreme.com Jeep Wrangler

Hunt

I'm going to have to check in on this thread a little more often. A lot of discussion is still happening on this Jeep.

Scott39

I was laid off in October, decided to start a new business & the most logical (but difficult) thing to do was to sell the tow rig, which we were making big payments on, and sell the TJ to get a good deal of cash for start-up expenses. I hated to do it, was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I loved that TJ! Considering the economic times and our situation, it was wise. :-\
I just looked through most of this thread, and at the end was suprised!
I know about the laidoff thing, I just got laidoff 2 weeks ago.
Anyhow, it looked like you did a good job on this build, for a jeep:D

Just put some dana 60`s under the FJ80 and your good to go.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So Greg,
If you did it (a TJ build) all over again what would you do differently?

Not much, honestly. It works very well on the trail, I was constantly impressed with how it handled difficult trails. Anything I would do would be to improve streetability, so I could drive it on the highway too. I would probably use a 4L60e transmission for the overdrive, but not if I'd have to sacrifice the full-manual shifting and engine braking characteristics that I added. Those were both great on the trail.

I'd have to think real hard about ditching the full-hydro in favor of a steering box and hydro-assist. That would also help driving at higher speeds.

I gave Hunt a list of things I had not gotten to and one of the big things was adding air bumps. The TJ sat low obviously and the front had just over 2" uptravel before getting into the bumpstops. A small-travel air bump would help the offroad, high-speed jaunts.

I'd consider some engine tweaks... perhaps an LS1 camshaft for more power on the top end. The engine has a flat torque curve and it was plenty of power, but I always like more power. :greg:

So, how's the new business working out for you?

I love this build too much to not go back and look through it from time to time.

ditto.:cool:

btw, are there anymore pics from the build that are not posted that could be added to this thread? I don't know how many times I have come back to this thread for info for myself or to share.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Glad you guys are still enjoying the build thread! I wish the Jeep was still around so you had a chance to see it on the trail. :-\ The business isn't doing as well as expected, which has been quite a bummer. There is more to it, but that's all I need to say here. After more than 6 months off, I went back to working for Union Pacific this Summer.

Here's the photo album to the entire build, that should be most of the photos from the entire build.- http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/gallery/v/TJbuild/

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Bummer

just finished reading the thread i was shocked and saddened by the ending, hard to put all that work into it then sell it, but even though it was a jeep it was a great rig greg, hope you get the chance soon to do another. If you do do it again would you do a toyota: v8 swap coils and 4link with 40's and doubler kit? oh and if you still want to promote the site send me some graphics or those plates and i'll put them all over the 4runner i'm all for promoting this site, seriously

RockChucker

Bringing this back from the dead...

Greg, i may have missed it, but i can't find what you ended up doing for exhaust on this beast. what muffler did you run and were you running 3" pipe? thanks.

Venture13

I did a familiar build, runs great. Always easier to see what someone else did.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916570&highlight=

IMAG0607.jpg

IMAG0606.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

IMAG0598.jpg

IMAG0600.jpg

IMAG0594.jpg

IMAG0783.jpg

IMAG0805.jpg

RockChucker

thanks Greg.

Venture13, i followed your build on Pirate. Very cool build, and like i said in your thread, i'll have to come up and check your jeep out when i get ready for my swap. Did you ever get your engine noise figured out?

Venture13

Yup, thats me. I still have some minor wiring and want to move some gauges. The engine tick is still bad, guess I will let it run that way and just stuff another salvage 5.3 in it. Maybe a 6.0 this time, but I gotta reflash the ecm.

Kind of strange when I am not welding something everyday. Nice to see the project come to an end. I can only imagine how it must of felt to sell the Rocky Mountain extreme Rig after all those hours of work.

I think I got like 700 hours of labor in it.