Building TURBO system for YJ

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Finally made something to hold the gauges so they aren't taped to the steering column anymore. Still need to paint it black.
The gauges barely fit without blocking the driver's view of the other gauges/indicators.

6_zpsqhenwano.jpg

WP_20170108_009_zpsusrkewqs.jpg

WP_20170108_020_zpsnvru5o1a.jpg

WP_20170108_006_zpsftvptghj.jpg

WP_20170108_014_zpsmbmuk288.jpg

WP_20170108_011_zps5ektubkz.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think I've got a lens for that shattered gauge hanging around if you want it FREE

I think replacing it won't change anything, the speed of that tach spinning up so fast with the now boosted 2.5 is obviously what broke it in the first place!

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
lol

Mini update:
I added some more in-boost timing the other day and the Jeep was really pulling hard. The rear end was squatting hard while accelerating (still on ~6.5psi) and was starting to get some slingshot feel to it. Then I started hearing a ticking which very quickly turned into a full blown pneumatic jackhammering sound. It drove completely fine but just made a hellacious knocking sound. The sound didn't happen in 4th gear or when the clutch was pressed in, so it sounds to me like a dead giveaway that it's a countershaft bearing failure, or possibly but less likely a broken tooth. The transmission has always dripped so I wonder if it just got low and died coincidentally while I was playing with the turbo.
Anyway I'll pull it soon and see what's going on. If no parts are broken I'll just rebuild it for a little over $100. Otherwise I'll have to find another AX-5 transmission (from a wrangler or cherokee) to swap in and be on transmission #4 (probably need a spare trans anyway).

If you have an AX-5 trans you can sell, let me know.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Not directly. You can buy the adapter parts from AA to put it in--good upgrade, but not a simple bolt-in deal. Need to change the input shaft spline count in the Tcase as well.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Yeah I bought a used trans in good condition for $100 and rebuilt it with new bearings and synchros for another $100. It's in and works beautifully. I'm currently building a MegaSquirt fuel injection computer system to tune the turbo.
I tried posting a bunch of pics a couple weeks ago but realized the jackoffs at Photobucket are hijacking everyone's pictures and won't host them anymore. None of the pictures in this entire thread work anymore. I'll update with some pictures when I get around to finding a new host.