Buying A Cherokee Laredo....

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Got a question for all you cherokee lovers... what are things I should be looking for that go wrong on the cherokee.... I found one here that I might want to buy and just wanted to see what all you have to say about things to look at to and to stay away from....

From what I could see it has the 4.0 in it and the automatic from there I can't tell you much more other than it has the tow package.

Really would like to hear what you all have to say!
John

utahxjer

Check for excessive blow by on the air filter
Put it into 4HI and 4LO and try them out, (some people forget that)
If it has a D44 it's worth more in the offroading end of things
If it's lifted check for Death Wobble at high speeds
Check the cooling system, see if it has any leaks or problems (some years of XJ's were bad)
Make sure all the electronic stuff works, my bud bought one and it was an electronic nightmare

But most seem to hold up pretty good, you can tell if it's been taken care of or not, XJ's seem to be great runners, or piles of shiz, right HICKEY?

(but if your looking at one on here, and they see this they can quick fix anything that gets posted on this thread, not saying they would, but it could happen)

Bart

Ken said:
Don't buy a 90 they suck ass!!!! I've had to replace too much!

That's quite a generalization. We've had a 90 in our family (daughter's Jeep now) for about 5 years and have had virtually zero problems with it besides general maintenance.
Bart

Ken

We'll it was the first year they put ABS on some of those and it had to be recalled. The axle shafts come with the smaller axle joints, The closed cooling system is just a time bomb waiting to go. The electrical stuff starts to slow down, some of the paint on those years flakes, and the engine is the non HO. You can't get a throttle body spacer you can't get a chip. Trust me if you want to wheel it or get anything good, performance wise then a 90 cherokee is not the one to buy. A lot depends on owners but you can't deny the factory drawbacks as well.

utahxjer

Ken said:
We'll it was the first year they put ABS on some of those and it had to be recalled. The axle shafts come with the smaller axle joints
They didn't put the bigger u-joints in til' like 96' or 97'

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Ken said:
We'll it was the first year they put ABS on some of those and it had to be recalled. The axle shafts come with the smaller axle joints, The closed cooling system is just a time bomb waiting to go. The electrical stuff starts to slow down, some of the paint on those years flakes, and the engine is the non HO. You can't get a throttle body spacer you can't get a chip. Trust me if you want to wheel it or get anything good, performance wise then a 90 cherokee is not the one to buy. A lot depends on owners but you can't deny the factory drawbacks as well.

Like you said, a lot of this depends on the owners. My 1989 Cherokee Laredo is pretty much in the best condition of any that I have seen from that year. The paint is fine, other than rock chips (no pealing anywhere.) The motor runs perfect, the cooling system works flawlessly (still the closed system.) Yeah, the front axle has the smaller joints, but that's not a biggy. I don't really feel the need for a throttle body spacer, since they really don't know much. As for a chip, it's got enough power for what I use it for. Personally, I like the non-HO motor a bit better, as it developes max torque almost 1500 RPM's lower than a HO.

All personal choice though.