Buying land in Utah?

MOODY

Bald Guy
Any thoughts on buying land in Utah? I’ve been thinking about retirement and buying a chunk of land now for building a smaller home over time. I won’t always need the size of house I have now. Thinking like a 1200 square foot home with a substantially larger shop/garage. Has anyone dealt with buying land and how does it work?

ricsrx

i have purchased two lots, one in Riverton ( no house, i use for storage) and 2 acres in Carbon County, it is nothing like buying a house with all the paper work and hassle with closing dates, its more like a car purchase, instead of the title for the car it the title for the land, like the first part of buying a house on the title section to make sure no one has claim to it. i used a tile company for the Riverton purchase, but in Carbon County i went to the County offices with the seller and handled the paper work there, i think a title company probably should have been used there also but i knew the seller so we saved some coin on that part.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Same deal as Jeremy for me, I own a chunk of property in Summit County. Biggest thing is making sure the title to the property is clear, no liens, water rights owned by others, easements etc etc on the property. I used my realtor because it cost me nothing and she's awesome about making sure I'm protected, she dealt with all the paperwork, communication and the title company.

Houndoc

Haven't done anything beyond lots that I have built on, but from my years on Planning and Zoning my advice is to certainly do your homework.

Liens, boundary disputes, water rights, zoning etc all critical to CONFIRM before a purchase- don't just rely on what the seller tells you. I have seen some unhappy people when they find out they cannot legally use their land for the purpose they bought it.

comingdown

My father in law has a similar setup to what your describing but in Montana. 20 acres, small cabin (was off grid but he wanted power and internet to FaceTime grandkids) and he just built a large shop with an apartment up top for company. He seems to enjoy it and we enjoy visiting it. Said I can put a cabin up there too if I want which I may do someday