Cab over camper & car hauler... what truck?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not long ago I was asking about truck campers... I think we're close to pulling the trigger on a truck and camper combo, but also want something that can also tow a car hauler trailer with a Willys on it (either the CJ2a weighs 2,500 pounds and the Willys Crawler that should weigh under 4,000). I don't want to spend a ton of money, but was wondering what truck you guys would use? My budget for the truck AND camper is $10k.... so shooting for a truck around $6-7k.

Initially I was thinking about a mid 2000's Chevy 3/4 ton with a gas 6.0.... not too interested in a dually. Cheap, easy to fix, repair and upgrade.

I don't know that I want/need a diesel... most of my towing will be within 2 hrs from me and pretty flat. But I want something that is legally capable of hauling the weight of this combo. I would imagine a cab-over camper will be around 4,500#'s... trailer 1,500# and Jeeps as mentioned above.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I did a camper on my 98 Cummins and 06 duramax. Pulled my jeep behind it also. Camper and trucks are gone for now but do plan on future. When I do it again I will have a dually for the security factor. Would hate to lose a rear tire with camper and trailer in tow. A dually would handle it all better. You said not interested in a dually but I bet a mid 90s 454 Chevy would be in budget and allow for more money for a camper.

Greg

Admin
I did a camper on my 98 Cummins and 06 duramax. Pulled my jeep behind it also. Camper and trucks are gone for now but do plan on future. When I do it again I will have a dually for the security factor. Would hate to lose a rear tire with camper and trailer in tow. A dually would handle it all better. You said not interested in a dually but I bet a mid 90s 454 Chevy would be in budget and allow for more money for a camper.

Thanks for the info, Kevin! My biggest issue with a dually is my parking where the truck would go... it's not wide enough for a dually. I totally understand the safety aspect, I don't plan to do too much towing with the camper... probably a few trips per year. I think I can get by with a SRW truck and be ok... I'd run good, heavy tires on both the truck and trailer.

I did look at some older Chevys with 454's, I wouldn't mind one but really want a truck from the early 2000's on up. Technology and design seem so much better than those older trucks.

I did a pop up truck bed camper in my one ton for awhile. It was super light but it didn’t affect my towing the heavy scout at all.

I think we've decided to get a hard-sided cabover camper for a longbed and want a toilet, shower and A/C. I know my thread about campers was focused on popups and they're still worth thinking about, but now leaning towards a big & heavy hardsided camper. I think the worst part about those is the height and wind resistance.... but it should be pretty comfortable for boondock camping.

Greg

Admin
I've found a couple early 2000's Ford F250's with 7.3 Powerstroke diesels... I really didn't want another diesel, but thinking with the size & weight we're talking about, a diesel would be smart. I've owned 3 different Dodge Cummins trucks in the past and not sure I want to go down that road again. Great engine, everything else around it is questionable. Not too interested in a GM Duramax truck either... expensive injector and transmission issues.

I've never owned a Ford, but thinking it may be the best option... :oops:

Found a 2003 F250 that looks decent, price is in my range. I think I want an extended cab long bed. Ugly, but great for hauling a camper. Don't mind the sh!tty pic... ***Edit*** - Nevermind, 2003 had the 6.0 diesel! o_O

23518810_177893232792131_6651504440337596303_n.jpg

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That's exactly my setup....2000 F350, extended cab, long bed, 7.3, 6speed manual. It hauls my '99 Lance camper around just great, and tows a trailer well enough when needed. My last trip with it had my FZJ80 on the trailer behind it, which made for a pretty heavy combination.

I did add airbags to the rear--that smooths out the ride a fair amount. Without them, you're on the overload leaves and it gets a bit jarring. (and I was reminded of that this year, I developed a leak somewhere in the airbags that deflated one, so I deflated the other to match)

One BENEFIT to a SRW truck, you open up your options for campers a fair amount--not all have the swing-out jacks required for a dually.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I was going to suggest a 7.3. Prices are starting to get realistic and they are a solid motor.

If your going big heavy hard side a gas motor is not going to be very much fun

For the purpose of the truck....I think that one you posted is perfect

Greg

Admin
That's exactly my setup....2000 F350, extended cab, long bed, 7.3, 6speed manual. It hauls my '99 Lance camper around just great, and tows a trailer well enough when needed. My last trip with it had my FZJ80 on the trailer behind it, which made for a pretty heavy combination.

I did add airbags to the rear--that smooths out the ride a fair amount. Without them, you're on the overload leaves and it gets a bit jarring. (and I was reminded of that this year, I developed a leak somewhere in the airbags that deflated one, so I deflated the other to match)

One BENEFIT to a SRW truck, you open up your options for campers a fair amount--not all have the swing-out jacks required for a dually.

That's right, I was trying to remember what year, cab & transmission your truck was. I would like to find something very similar to yours... extended cab, long bed, 7.3 and a manual trans would be icing on the cake. Good to know about the air bags & overloads! I figured I'd add air bags, possibly heavier anti-sway bars if needed.

Greg

Admin
I was going to suggest a 7.3. Prices are starting to get realistic and they are a solid motor.

If your going big heavy hard side a gas motor is not going to be very much fun

For the purpose of the truck....I think that one you posted is perfect

Other than it being an '03 and the first year of the 6.0! I edited the post... X-D

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I enjoy the gasser sooooooo much more. Conversations in the truck are better, no noisy engine while traveling through the quiet country roads, maintenance is way cheaper... but that is just my opinion.

Any 3/4 or 1 ton truck will handle your load fine. Air bags could be an option if you want. Equalizer on the trailer will be a must.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I quite liked my setup with my '98 24 valve Dodge. My truck will be for sale very soon. Setup for a camper with tie downs and air bags. I'll be asking $10,800 for it as that seems market value for a Cummings? Something is wrong with mine as it only approaches 20 mpg commuting and gets about 12ish towing. Has a fresh auto trans. I think it'd take a camper and trailer without much drama at all. Especially a Willys Jeep vs my trail pig.

I would have NO issue with going to a gasser pickup as you outline. Turbo diesels are SWEET to climb hills and such with a load. Gasser will get the job done. V10 SuperDuty used to be a sweet spot in the market but there's not been many out there for a couple of months and their prices are approaching 7.3L pricing. You'll run across sweet pricing on 6.0L but I'm not sold enough on those to want to deal with them.

I'll be picking up a cheap 3/4 ton SUV to tow my junk around for the next few years.

Decent campers are out there for about $2500-6000. Quality units aren't necessarily the most expensive but they usually aren't the $1500 ones....

Greg

Admin
I enjoy the gasser sooooooo much more. Conversations in the truck are better, no noisy engine while traveling through the quiet country roads, maintenance is way cheaper... but that is just my opinion.

Any 3/4 or 1 ton truck will handle your load fine. Air bags could be an option if you want. Equalizer on the trailer will be a must.

I just don't care for the costly repairs of a diesel... I think big gas engine would be OK, but get tiresome on longer trips. There is no doubt that the diesel will pull better, but I'm not sure if the added cost and potential repair/maint. prices will justify how often how many times I'll be using the truck.

Air bags and Equalizer hitch sound good!

I quite liked my setup with my '98 24 valve Dodge. My truck will be for sale very soon. Setup for a camper with tie downs and air bags. I'll be asking $10,800 for it as that seems market value for a Cummings? Something is wrong with mine as it only approaches 20 mpg commuting and gets about 12ish towing. Has a fresh auto trans. I think it'd take a camper and trailer without much drama at all. Especially a Willys Jeep vs my trail pig.

I would have NO issue with going to a gasser pickup as you outline. Turbo diesels are SWEET to climb hills and such with a load. Gasser will get the job done. V10 SuperDuty used to be a sweet spot in the market but there's not been many out there for a couple of months and their prices are approaching 7.3L pricing. You'll run across sweet pricing on 6.0L but I'm not sold enough on those to want to deal with them.

I'll be picking up a cheap 3/4 ton SUV to tow my junk around for the next few years.

Decent campers are out there for about $2500-6000. Quality units aren't necessarily the most expensive but they usually aren't the $1500 ones....

You know my well documented dislike for Dodges after my last 2003... like I mentioned above, I've owned 3 Cummins trucks. I think I'm well over Dodges for the rest of my life. X-D

If I could find a Ford F250 with a V10 and a manual trans, in a extended cab long bed for the right price I'd be interested. Not even going to consider a Ford with a 6.0!

I've found some campers around $4000 that are quite nice, that's about what I'm shooting for.

D

Deleted member 12904

I think a V10 ford would do the trick just fine as long as you understand the very very poor fuel economy towing. I used a v10 Superduty to tow a 37' 5th wheel toy hauler for a few years. Even loaded with toys, water and gear for a week camping it never had power issues towing. That said I was towing it to Wendover loaded with a fairly strong headwind and could only do 65 on I-80 and only got 3mpg on the way. I had to pull over and dump fuel cans because I couldn't make it to wendover on one tank of gas. Mine was a short bed and had a small tank though.

D

Deleted member 12904

Oh as a reference I usually would average 6-7mpg towing that trailer and 12mpg empty. I was able to squeeze 14 one trip to jackpot nevada empty with a super light foot and keeping it under 65 the whole way.

Greg

Admin
I think a V10 ford would do the trick just fine as long as you understand the very very poor fuel economy towing. I used a v10 Superduty to tow a 37' 5th wheel toy hauler for a few years. Even loaded with toys, water and gear for a week camping it never had power issues towing. That said I was towing it to Wendover loaded with a fairly strong headwind and could only do 65 on I-80 and only got 3mpg on the way. I had to pull over and dump fuel cans because I couldn't make it to wendover on one tank of gas. Mine was a short bed and had a small tank though.

Damn, that's bad! Is yours an auto or manual? Thanks for the info!

D

Deleted member 12904

IT was an auto. those engines just love to rev. they have power but its up high. I honestly would get one again for a tow rig if the truck/price was right. When I picked mine up they where giving them away compared to other trucks on the market and I never daily drove it so I never came close to gaping the difference in cost of a diesel with the added fuel cost.

Greg

Admin
IT was an auto. those engines just love to rev. they have power but its up high. I honestly would get one again for a tow rig if the truck/price was right. When I picked mine up they where giving them away compared to other trucks on the market and I never daily drove it so I never came close to gaping the difference in cost of a diesel with the added fuel cost.

Great, thanks! Sounds like an option, but good to know the real world MPG.

Greg

Admin
Found a decent 2000 F250 with a 7.3 diesel, manual trans short bed truck for $5k. Also found a nice, newer 2003 Lance 845 (short bed) camper with A/C, toilet & shower for $6k. I think that could work for us!