Cab over camper & car hauler... what truck?

Jesser04

I own a 2007 classic 8.1 Allison 4 door short bed when I fill up it reads 220 to empty. I have pretty much parked my truck for this very reason i can literally watch the gauge go down.

Jesser04

imo the 6.0 will run circles around the 8.1 Allison combo all while getting better mpg I have both . If I were you I’d be looking for an 07.5+ 2500 with the 6.0 just not sure that fits in your budget. Better fuel mileage they don’t burn oil I could go on and on. The only reason I still own my 8.1 is it’s a clean low mile truck and I think 15 years from now it will be cool kinda like 80’s Chevys are now. Only time will tell I guess...

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
imo the 6.0 will run circles around the 8.1 Allison combo all while getting better mpg I have both . If I were you I’d be looking for an 07.5+ 2500 with the 6.0 just not sure that fits in your budget. Better fuel mileage they don’t burn oil I could go on and on. The only reason I still own my 8.1 is it’s a clean low mile truck and I think 15 years from now it will be cool kinda like 80’s Chevys are now. Only time will tell I guess...

I assume that's with the 6 speed trans?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hmm.... found an '05 2500 with the 8.1 and a manual trans, extended cab, shortbed truck with low-ish miles for $10k and it's White! I may have to get serious about this one, quick.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Hmm.... found an '05 2500 with the 8.1 and a manual trans, extended cab, shortbed truck with low-ish miles for $10k and it's White! I may have to get serious about this one, quick.

I dont know how low of miles this one is.. but wouldn't that one in Idaho, with real 4 doors be a better deal than ext. cab for 10k?

rholbrook

I know where you truck is. Its a 2012 Chev 4dr HD2500 pretty bone stock with 70K miles. It does have the 6.0 and has spent its life hauling around a 70 yr old man. Text me if you are interested and I will see what they want for it but I believe it will go cheap.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I think it's the auto vs manual that he would be looking at more. The manuals in the 8.1s are pretty hard to find. I am pretty sure the ID one I posted is a long bed also.

Greg

Admin
I assume that's with the 6 speed trans?

Should be a 6 speed Allison behind the 8.1 at that point.

If you want me to look at trucks in IF, let me know.

Thanks Scott, I'll let you know. I'd prefer the newer body style and a manual but I'll keep it in mind.

I dont know how low of miles this one is.. but wouldn't that one in Idaho, with real 4 doors be a better deal than ext. cab for 10k?

I don't need a crew cab and an extended cab makes for easier maneuvering in town. Plus the manual trans (as Kevin mentioned below) is a huge bonus and what I'd prefer.

I know where you truck is. Its a 2012 Chev 4dr HD2500 pretty bone stock with 70K miles. It does have the 6.0 and has spent its life hauling around a 70 yr old man. Text me if you are interested and I will see what they want for it but I believe it will go cheap.

Thanks Russ!

I think it's the auto vs manual that he would be looking at more. The manuals in the 8.1s are pretty hard to find. I am pretty sure the ID one I posted is a long bed also.

Yes, I'd prefer a manual! Extended cab, short bed, 8.1 and it;s White! Just like my 2 other vehicles... :eek:

Greg

Admin
Greg, you might want to check into this one. Maybe more than you were looking to spend? I came across it under the non-running cars???

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/50976159

That is a beautiful truck! Yeah, it's a bit more than I want to spend, but worth considering.

We've kinda put the search on the back burner, I'm nut sure that we're going to make any big purchases soon... may give it a few more months before we're ready to buy.

Asbjorn

Greg, we might be selling our 2002 GMC 2500HD crew cab with the 8.1/Allison and 125K miles. If you recall, it's the one I pulled the XJ over to 21 Rd. with. Not 100% sure about selling it at this point, but stay tuned...