Cage building feedback

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Fabrication friends, weigh in! How should I build the roof of my cage? I'm thinking about two 'K's back to back, so all the corners are tied in. Anything less seems to leave a corner unsupported.

Any other suggestions?

The B pillar will have a 'X' as well as a horizontal bar for shoulder harnesses.

20210526_182924.jpg

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
You could also do two Xs side-by-side and still tie everything together. That might detract from headroom directly over the seats though (hopefully you have enough room that this doesn't matter)... The Ks or Xs both create the point in the center of the rear roof bar which would be nice to tie in somehow - either some support in the "B" hoop, or tied to the back "C" pillar feet forming a "W" when looking at it from the rear.

Greg

Admin
You could also do two Xs side-by-side and still tie everything together. That might detract from headroom directly over the seats though (hopefully you have enough room that this doesn't matter)... The Ks or Xs both create the point in the center of the rear roof bar which would be nice to tie in somehow - either some support in the "B" hoop, or tied to the back "C" pillar feet forming a "W" when looking at it from the rear.

I've already welded in a center tube, so I'm committed to that direction already!

The double 'K' above looks too busy, so here's what I'm leaning towards now.

I'd add a healthy gusset to the top of the B pillar top tube and outer corner to beef up that joint.

20210526_193014.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've already welded in a center tube, so I'm committed to that direction already!

The double 'K' above looks too busy, so here's what I'm leaning towards now.

I'd add a healthy gusset to the top of the B pillar top tube to beef up that corner.

View attachment 137811
I like this. You have the nodes at the front a pillar and the corner of the triangles at the b pillars for good strength.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd put your harness bar in place before those last two tubes coming down from the top of the B pillar. They may need to be bent a little. Don't eff it up like the hotdog kid. (Nate)

Greg

Admin
I like this. You have the nodes at the front a pillar and the corner of the triangles at the b pillars for good strength.

I agree, that's the direction I'm headed now!

20210526_200237.jpg

I'd put your harness bar in place before those last two tubes coming down from the top of the B pillar. They may need to be bent a little. Don't eff it up like the hotdog kid. (Nate)

Yep, that's the plan! Harness bar will go in first, then work on the 'X'. I'll probably bring a tube straight down from the top center of the B pillar, to tie in that node too.

I've been fitting up the seat, making sure it'll all clear. So far, so good. It's tight, but I believe I can keep all the tubes straight and have sufficient clearance.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’m glad you changed your mind cause an X would be a lot of tube in a small space. I’m not sure by your description if you’re planning on a vertical tube from the B spreader to the harness bar but I recommend it. I’ve seen some gnarly rollovers (including one Ryan had) that really made a solid case to always have one.

85CUCVKRAWLER

I agree, that's the direction I'm headed now!

View attachment 137815

Yep, that's the plan! Harness bar will go in first, then work on the 'X'. I'll probably bring a tube straight down from the top center of the B pillar, to tie in that node too.

I've been fitting up the seat, making sure it'll all clear. So far, so good. It's tight, but I believe I can keep all the tubes straight and have sufficient clearance.

This is what i do with all the top sections of all of my cages now. The full X is a pain to fab and it puts tube right where your and your passengers heads are. So, even if it sits well above you, youll end up hitting them with on rough sections. This leaves a nice little area for your head to flail about.

Greg

Admin
I’m glad you changed your mind cause an X would be a lot of tube in a small space. I’m not sure by your description if you’re planning on a vertical tube from the B spreader to the harness bar but I recommend it. I’ve seen some gnarly rollovers (including one Ryan had) that really made a solid case to always have one.

Yeah, it got real busy after cutting one tube and fitting it up. The new plan looks more simple and is still plenty strong.

I am planning a vertical tube from the top-center of the B pillar to the harness bar, I don't want to leave that top joint unsupported.

This is what i do with all the top sections of all of my cages now. The full X is a pain to fab and it puts tube right where your and your passengers heads are. So, even if it sits well above you, youll end up hitting them with on rough sections. This leaves a nice little area for your head to flail about.

That's a good point about the additional head room! I'm sure there will be plenty of flailing in the future in this thing.

Agree with your plan. It is cross braced and you're good to go without tons more work. And it looks better.

I think you're right Bart, it's the best option for what I'm working with.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll update this thread as the cage progresses and probably ask for more insight about the gussets. :p

Greg

Admin
I spent the morning running around town with my wife, so I haven't made as much progress as I wanted to, but here's how it's shaping up so far.

Obviously some of the tubes are just sitting in place, not finished or ready for welding yet but I'm just trying to see how it all fits together and what it looks like.

The 'X' in the B pillar is probably going to need its own mounts, down on the tub of the floor. I'll probably tie them in to the body mount and side of the tub.

20210527_133258.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking... again, its looking pretty busy, but IMO the B pillar needs plenty of triangulation to strengthen it and reinforce the entire cage.

20210527_133258.jpg

Forgive my crude drawings... 😄

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You could do an A in the B pillar instead of an X. That would also remove a tube from being directly behind your head...

Greg

Admin
Clean work!

It's OK... 😄 Could be better honestly, but its good enough.

You could do an A in the B pillar instead of an X. That would also remove a tube from being directly behind your head...

Think that would be sufficient? It looks cleaner and I like the idea of not having a bar right behind my head. I wouldn't have to worry about another cage floor plate.

Screenshot_20210527-140859_Gallery.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It would be nice to have it terminate right at the foot plate instead of just the harness bar. Or even extend down to the floor and attach at the bottom like you originally mentioned for the X. But in general yes, I think it would give you the triangulation you need. A little corner gusset on the outside won't hurt, but you'll be adding that type of thing anyway up front...

Greg

Admin
It would be nice to have it terminate right at the foot plate instead of just the harness bar. Or even extend down to the floor and attach at the bottom like you originally mentioned for the X. But in general yes, I think it would give you the triangulation you need. A little corner gusset on the outside won't hurt, but you'll be adding that type of thing anyway up front...

I think I'll run the A thru the harness bar and tie into the B pillar floor plate. That seems like it won't create a shear point like it would in the drawing at the harness bar. Seems strong and somewhat simple.

20210527_145948.jpg

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I don't know from nuthin', but what about a diamond back there instead of the A? Like your last drawing, but run two tubes from the lower b pillar node to a central tie-in in the floor? Seems like that'd be just as strong but not quite as much work?

85CUCVKRAWLER

Personally, i wouldnt do that vertical bar, its distributing loads to a dead node (doing nothing basically). Also that vertical bar will be annoying and restrict movement into the back cargo area. I would also worry about banging my head on it.

I would tie that center node down to your C pillars as close to the footers as possible. Kindof like how your showing but instead of the B pillars, go down to the C pillar footers.

Greg

Admin
I don't know from nuthin', but what about a diamond back there instead of the A? Like your last drawing, but run two tubes from the lower b pillar node to a central tie-in in the floor? Seems like that'd be just as strong but not quite as much work?

The problem is the lack of frame tie in at the center of the floor.