Cage Question

kirk86CJ

I am building this cage. I still plan on adding spreaders - I assume 2 spaced about 8" apart running from the A Pillar to the B Pillar. (Then back to the corners from B-C) My head ends up a little close, so I was wondering about putting a bend in the spreaders so they go up an inch or two (from the A, then back down to the B Pillar - assuming I would put the bend close to the B pillar.
I have seen people put bends in the spreaders when the height of A-B is different, but I'm wondering if anyone has pictures, or opinions on how it would look when A-B is the same height.

Thanks
Kirk

Attachments

• Jeep19.JPG
    Jeep19.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 54

Bart

Kirk, loving the look of the cage. I'd think you're on the right track by putting the kink closer to the B pillar. Just make sure your top will fit, when you get a top to fit the extra length that is. I've got mine closer to the A pillar and can fit my top, but there are some bikini tops that don't fit because of them.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Judging from the photo you have a long way until you hit your head... you can't even see over the dash! :D

Lets see....

Option A -> hit your head on the spreaders
Option B -> bend the spreaders and get them away from your head

I would go for option B, it sounds way more comfortable. :D I would make them as high as you can go and still get the top on. Also what if you put one spreader down the middle? That should keep your head away from it. More is always stronger, but you can make the call if a single will be strong enough to handle the hit. Or maybe a hoop from the B going towards the A, and then spreaders that angle from the corners into your hoop. It maybe stronger than one spreader, probably not as strong as two spreaders, but would help with the headache issues.

kirk86CJ

Triangulation Question

There is a thread on Pirate where a poison spyder cage (like the one I'm copying) folded on a tip-over.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563267

I am wondering what I can do within reason to make mine better (I want to keep this thing comfortable)

I am wondering if adding the two 90 degree bends behind the front seats like on this picture would do anything to stregnthen it for a sideways tip over. These could also hold harnesses.

I could also do a long gusset at the top intersection of the B pillar (like 12" long) ?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Kirk

Attachments

• RollCageYjWranglerJeep2073672437.jpg
    RollCageYjWranglerJeep2073672437.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 4

Caleb

I would say that gussets are your friend. If you're not worried about rear seat access (which by putting those 90s behind the driver seat would block access so I assume you're not) then I would skip the 90s and go with an "X" supporting the B-pillar. Also, if you don't already have one, a dash bar could help some.

xjc

I give up :(
triangles are the key, X's etc, its all triangles. that cage is all rectangles so it will forld up very nicely. Supergper is exactly right, and X behind you would make it many times stronger on a side roll over.

1993yj

I think that your bends would look alright, and I personally would rather have it looking goofy rather than hitting my head on it. Are you going to be running a hard or soft top though? I just added spreader bars to the rear of my cage, and bent them up to make room for the rear passengers heads. My tops both still fit, but putting the soft top up is a bit of a pain in the ass now, as I cant just fold it up like I used to.

kirk86CJ

The X thing behind the B pillar would be ideal, but I don't think it will work because if you'll notice in my picture of my jeep - I have the third seat in the middle that almost touches the front two - the X would be in the way of that passenger. The middle seat ended up sitting further forward than in the picture.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Caleb

I don't think the 90* bends would do much to strengthen it because they are not angled. I think you could instead do gussets that are behind the driver's head and passenger head (I think this is what you were asking before). It wouldn't be as strong as doing some sort of X but would be stronger than doing the 90s.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
What shapes can you put in your B pilar that work with the seat? Can you do a horizontal bar? Maybe a horizontal bar that was lower, and then dignals up and down from that? so you are getting closer to the X but not a true X?

or can you do anything vertical?

Maybe a photo is worth a 1000 words, my picture may save me typing 10

:D

Any of these give you ideas?

Attachments

• boptions.jpg
    boptions.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 2

kirk86CJ

I still haven't decided how to deal with the side impact thing, but I did work on it some more. here are a couple pictures.

I am curious if people think the planned gussets will be good enough - The red ones will be 3/16 flat shaped like a triangle. The yellow one will probably be 1 1/4 tube.

Anyway - I got all the seatbelt stuff mounted.

Attachments

• Cage Gussets.JPG
    Cage Gussets.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Cage5.JPG
    Cage5.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Cage4.jpg
    Cage4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 3

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Here's where I'm thinking...

You gotta think in terms of triangles and nodes. I like the way the cage looks, but there isn't any nodes or triangles, and without them it's a waste of material. Because this won't do anything but look purty.

I don't think any of the gussets you thought about will do anything in ways of strengthening this up. Those gussets can easily push through the tube, or even become leverage points to crush the cage easier.

All those gussets are gonig to do is try to keep the corner from opneing up.

EDIT: added picture... :D

Attachments

• Cage%20Gussets.JPG
    Cage%20Gussets.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: