Caliper compression tool

Which tool?

• Total voters

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
It sounds like I'm due for new brake pads and I'm wondering what caliper tool you guys like. I've used a c-clamp in the past but seem to have lost it. Looking at amazon there are lots of options. Which one do you guys use?

brake3.PNGbrake2.PNGbrake1.PNG

Trate D

Never used the top one but see the small plastic turn handle failing quickly. Also is only made for single piston use.

The middle ratcheting style one is by far the easiest on your hands and requires less force. It’s my go to when it fits the application.

The bottom one works good but can get bound up and require both hands or to reset the tool (take the pressure off then start again). Also the bottom one comes in single and dual piston options so make sure it’s the correct one for you.

Bart

Big channel locks and one of the old pads.
I did change some on my daughters Mazda and had to borrow and twist out tool from Oreille's.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've done hundreds of brake jobs with that tool like number one and have never had an issue, it's fairly simple and works great. I like how it pushes the piston back into the caliper a little at a time and doesn't force all the fluid back into the master quickly, like other options might.

I don't remember what brand mine was but it wasn't anything too fancy, maybe Craftsman?

shortstraw8

I have 1 and it works great, just use the old pads against the piston and turn, works well on my dual piston WJ calipers and no issues on my 3500, $6 was well worth it. Before that I used a big pipe wrench and a little pipe wrench to turn the big one and have used the prybar method also. Middle one looks better though and easier to use, last one looks like a caulk gun and a pita to get in place imo.

Trate D

Also note depending on vehicle they could be twist in pistons and if it has electronic park brake you’ll need address that to activate/de-activate service mode.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I have the lisle ones on the far right. Both the single and the double piston versions, way better then everything else I ever used

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I think for my uses I'll give that first option a go. It probably won't get a ton of use over the years but I'll be nice to have I'm sure.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I use a c-clamp vice grip tool I bought just for this purpose decades ago. I'm sure it has a proper name; I just call it my caliper pliers.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The first one with an old pad for 20+ years. That was one of the first tools I purchased.

1969honda

Supporting Member
#1 with old pad and c clamp or large channel locks. Guaranteed to work on any *regular* push in piston caliper.