Calling coyotes again this morning...

DAA

So, had so much fun calling them to the camera last weekend, decided to go try another spot and do it again this morning.

First stand, sun not over the horizon yet, overcast and threatening rain, just too dark for taking any pictures. But, about 90 seconds in to the jackrabbit blues, I had a pup milling around about 20 yards in front of the Shockwave. He stood around for a couple minutes, I was starting to think about trying a picture anyway, and some coyotes started yapping from a quarter mile away over the next hill. He turned and trotted out of sight towards them.

Next stand, had a coyote coming in slow and cautious at about the four minute mark. It checked up at 400 yards, then took a couple more minutes to get within 200 yards. Then just faded away back into the brush. Absolutely no way that coyote saw me or smelled me, but, it never showed up again. Would have been an easy rifle shot, but made a pretty crappy picture...

20150807_Coyotes-7W.jpg

Next stand - nothing! Nadda... Between last week and the first couple stands this morning, I had called in coyotes on five stands in a row, was starting to think this was easy :D. But, no cigar on this stand...

Next stand after that... After a few minutes of jackrabbit, I could hear a pair howling about a mile up wind. Decided to go after them. So, grabbed the Shockwave and hot footed it about 2/3 a mile into the wind, just over the next ridge and got setup again. Hit Lone Howl to announce my presence and just sat quiet. Didn't have to sit long. About two minutes later, the pair started challenge howling from the next small ridge, about 200 yards over.

20150807_Coyotes-10W.jpg

I watched and listened to them for a couple minutes, snapped a few photos, then hit Pup Distress #3. That did it! They both came of the ridge heading my way at a gallop!

20150807_Coyotes-24-EditW.jpg

Both were at the caller shortly, but milling around a bit and I couldn't ever get both of them focused in the frame at the same time. Best pictures ended up being of the female.

20150807_Coyotes-33W.jpg

20150807_Coyotes-36W.jpg

They didn't stick around too long, before heading downwind and leaving.

Was starting to sprinkle rain about that time. So, I decided to head home. Rain let up before I got back to the highway though, so I decided to make one more stand.

This guy came in downwind after 10 minutes, slinked around out there about 300 yards for a few minutes before walking away into the brush.

20150807_Coyotes-44W.jpg

Another fun morning of calling! I think next weekend, weather, wife and wallet permitting, I'm going to skip the coyotes and just get out and tune up on some jackrabbits with the rifle. Get a little bit more rust off the shooting.

About chomping at the bit to get out there and do some damage on the coyotes though!

- DAA