Campgrounds

pELYgroso

'Merica
What are some of the campgrounds you've used and liked? I'm talking fire pits, picnic tables, and bathrooms. I'm breaking a bunch of neighbors into camping and would like to do monthly camping trips this year with them. Our first one will be in early May in Moab at one of the RV parks. They have warmed up to the idea of bathrooms, showers, pool, playground for the kids, etc.

I know, it's lame-ish, but we're taking baby steps with a couple of these families. After Moab, I'd like to do campgrounds more like Granite Flats in AF Canyon with fire pits, picnic tables, and bathrooms. A little more "roughing it" but still with a few amenities.

So what CG's do you like that are 3 hrs max. from Utah Valley? Ideally within an hour or two?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I forget the name of it, but the one just up Little Cottonwood Canyon is pretty nice in the summer. Nice shade in most of the spots too.

D

Deleted member 12904

You might want to look into a portable chemical toilet. I pack one camping and most of my family much prefers that to a public toilet. I just dump it in a vault toilet on the way out of camp. Super easy, no smell and definitely cleaner/nicer then most camp ground toilets.

This is the one I use.
Camco Standard Portable Travel Toilet, Designed for Camping, RV, Boating and Other Recreational Activities (5.3 Gallon) (41541) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SFKJIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IWyMCb48V0W64

DAA

I avoid campgrounds as much as possible. Once in awhile I have to stay in one though.

But there are basic campgrounds, with picnic tables, firepits, lots of friendly neighbors and communal filth pots about every few miles all the way up the Mirror Lake Highway. The non-camping segment seems to really like those.

State Parks, a lot of them have campgrounds and I hear the facilities in them tend to be nicer than forest service stuff, but I can't really speak from experience.

And there are quite a few gov't campgrounds outside/around Moab that fit the description.

I have a book that was given to me, I'll have to see if I can find it, but I think it lists all the public campgrounds in the state, or at least a heckuva lot of them, with basic descriptions that seemed like they might be helpful - stuff like which sites had shade and were close to the filth pots. I'll see if I can find it later.

- DAA

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Let me preface by saying my wife and I don't camp, we RV. :cool: My idea of "roughing it" is if I don't have shore power and have to start the generator. X-D I don't particularly use the bathrooms in campgrounds but a lot can be told about the upkeep and maintenance of them by looking at the facilities.

As far as Moab goes we like either Portal RV park, OK RV Park or Spanish Trail as one of those three are where we usually land. Many folks in our local Jeep club like Canyonlands RV Park because it is within walking distance of the Moab Brewery but it is a little tight for our coach and so we generally stay at one of the previous ones mentioned but those are not exactly primitive style campgrounds with only a few amenities.

I have been seeing many more people use the one located north of town closer to the Hwy 313 turnoff lately since they added some camping spots there and it looks decently spaced and somewhat organized.

Mike

pELYgroso

'Merica
Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely be referencing this thread for future planning.

I'm also curious about Diamond Fork burning or not. That's one that I had in my mind for a trip this summer. Do any of you know if it is charred?

The_Lobbster

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely be referencing this thread for future planning.

I'm also curious about Diamond Fork burning or not. That's one that I had in my mind for a trip this summer. Do any of you know if it is charred?
I just did some googling, and found some reviews from a couple weeks ago that say it's not burned!

gware

Check our the APP Campendium. Its free and has most campgrounds with reviews that I have found to be pretty good. Also has good descriptions of them with all info needed to help with decision making. I also RV camp with a small trailer and use campgrounds as well as dispersed camping and have this APP very helpful.

Tebbsjeep

If you don't mind a little bit longer drive, Willow Flats in Franklin ID is nice. It can get crowded at times. There is an unimproved area above the campground that we usually stay at. That spot must be getting more visitors, because the last time we were there, there was trash everywhere. It took a while to clean up. You can drive through the mountains over to Logan canyon if you want. Lots of area up there.