Camping In AF Canyon This Weekend.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So I've been inquiring about the road conditions through the canyon, specificity on the Midway side. Still sounds questionable. I'd like to camp closer to midway, but don't know what I will find when I head up there. So if we can't get to a good camp site there and had to drive back out through midway, where would be the next best place to camp for the night in that area? I hate camping close to others or close to roads. We will be in our Armada so no more than a rough fire road. This will be camping with the whole family, if that matters.
Thanks.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Dunno about camping on the Midway side, but we're going to be out the PET with our families if you want to drive the other direction. Lots of camping in the desert. :)

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Where will you be/how do I find you guys?

I think we want to try the mountain. We'll just have to see what happens when we get up there.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
We'll be at Simpson Springs Friday night, and we're pulling out early for Gold Hill in the morning. Ch22 if you end up wandering our way, have fun!

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I drove up AF Canyon on Sunday with my family. We stopped at the bottom of Mineral Basin. No sign of snow anywhere, and the roads are already very dry. Lots of water running in the creek, though. We didn't venture up the road that heads down into Midway, but judging by some of north-facing mountains I did see, there is still quite a bit of snow.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I made it up Mineral Basin. There is still snow at the very top.

11257015_10152990991190028_6357254677398610787_n.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Here's the weekend camping report. We had a great camp out. Found the spot I was thinking of, somewhere between Midway and the turn off to Mineral Basin. Can anyone name the spot, for my future reference? While eating dinner a doe and faun walked right through camp. The kids went nuts. It was pretty cool. That night while we slept we had several deer walk right between the tent and the car. I'm sure it was the same one. Startled me a few times and when I jumped, it scared the deer and they took off. I was surprised at how well they could run through the trees so fast when it was so dark.

Our Camp spot
025.JPG

Getting dinner ready
036.JPG

Santa Fe Chicken tin foil dinner. First time we tried it and it was great!
039.JPG

Peach cobbler from the dutch oven with melted ice cream. Not bad.
043.JPG

Discovered we have a few more piros in the family. Couldn't get them out of the fire for very long.
070.JPG

Our play ground.
033.JPG

031.JPG

"Dad, we should have brought the fishing poles." My son told me that.
026.JPG

I think my kids have tourettes.
075.JPG

049.JPG

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Finishing up with breakfast the next morning.

We mixed up omelets in sandwich bags then boiled them. I was impressed with how easy this was and tasty as well.
080.JPG

082.JPG

After cleaning up we made our way out AF canyon. Just a few piles of snow left on the sides of the road in a few spots. Other than that it was smooth sailing. The old family wagon did just fine. I think next months camp will have us heading south. I think we just like the desert more.

jentzschman

Awesome! You might bring this to kurts attention and perhaps he can use this story or pictures (if you allow) to help fight snowbirds expansion into the canyon.

As a side note, I was there on Sat riding with a friend of mine. Beautiful spot for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk