Camping tips:The Sleeping bag

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I'm finishing my quilt now, I'm at 1 pound 12 oz in the stuffsack. I haven't added the grossgrain or shock cords yet, which will probably take me to just over 2 pounds. That's a lot lighter than the bag I'm using now, which is closer to 5 pounds in it's compression sack. Not trying to humblebrag but that's lighter than I expected it would be, where does it land on the spectrum? How much do your guys summer/backpacking bags weigh?

sixstringsteve

Nice! Congrats in making your own gear, I've always wanted to do that.

My winter bag is a 15* wm. 2 lbs 1oz. My wm summer bag is 1lb 3oz.

My summer quilt is even lighter. I'll have to weigh it.

I'm betting your quilts are twice as big as mine, so they're probably comparable in weight.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Nice! Congrats in making your own gear, I've always wanted to do that.

My winter bag is a 15* wm. 2 lbs 1oz. My wm summer bag is 1lb 3oz.

My summer quilt is even lighter. I'll have to weigh it.

I'm betting your quilts are twice as big as mine, so they're probably comparable in weight.

Holy crap those are light, are those down? I used Climashield, I'm sure down would be lighter. That stuff ain't cheap though.

DAA

My 30* Zpacks down bag is 20 oz. all in w/stuff sack. My 20* Feathered Friends down bag is 32 oz.

Someday when if I ever have money for more backpacking gear, I'd like to get a 40* Zpacks bag to shave more weight. I'm finding the 30* is more than I need on a lot of trips. But, I was awful glad to have my 20* on my first Grand Gulch trip this year, temps got down in the low teens at night on that one.

- DAA

Kevin B.

Big hippy
My bags are down. I love down. My enlightened equipment quilt has hydrophobic down.

I think I'm going to have to give a down bag a try. I've been scared of down, both the cost and the trouble when it gets wet. But I found 1oz DWR downproof ripstop for $7 a yard and hydrophobic down at $40/3oz, so I might have to give it a swing.

The quilt I just made is with 3.6oz Climashield, which is supposed to be good to 40f, plus or minus. If I do a down version I'll probably aim for 20f or so.

sixstringsteve

I've never had my down bags wet, and I have zero worries about getting down wet in the future. Downtech is cool technology though, so you might as well treat your down.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think I'm going to have to give a down bag a try. I've been scared of down, both the cost and the trouble when it gets wet. But I found 1oz DWR downproof ripstop for $7 a yard and hydrophobic down at $40/3oz, so I might have to give it a swing.

The quilt I just made is with 3.6oz Climashield, which is supposed to be good to 40f, plus or minus. If I do a down version I'll probably aim for 20f or so.

I have never had a cold night because my down bag got wet. I have had cold nights, but not because the down was wet. I had a few cold wet nights as in a synthetic bag as a scout, but once I realized if I stay dry I stay warm then I quit getting wet :)

I think wet down was more of a problem back when tents were terrible and shells were canvas.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I had a terrible time staying dry back in my scout days. Between crappy gear and a crappy attention span I was pretty much guaranteed to be miserable if it was raining at all. I still have a reflexive fear of camping in the rain. :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have been out a few times this winter. when sleeping in a regular bag (not my quilt) I have been using my DIY synthetic quilt as a giant scarf type thing. It takes up the extra space around my neck and shoulders and is much easier to adjust than the draw cord. I am digging it. I would imagine any fleece blanket or throw blanket would do the same thing. I adjusted it in my sleep without even waking up. Very comfortable.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have had good luck staying warm in the winter when I have slept out on the ice ice fishing at -20 to -30. My way of staying warm was a nice cot, 4 inch foam pad, my warmest bag stuffed inside of my next warmest bag. Sleeping was fine but getting up and getting dressed ... not so fun.

ID Bronco

What is recommended for sleeping bag liners? I would like to make my big agnes bags a little warmer for my upcoming backpacking trip. Silk, cotton, nylon, fleece? I am space and weight conscious, but price is important too. Recommendations?