Camping tips:The Sleeping bag

That's a tough one, Troy. I'd probably take the discount and wait if you are able. Price is a big deal to me, though. I guess that changes if this is holding up your opportunities for camping...

Rock Taco

Do you think 50 bucks off is a fair discount? It is holding up trips I am wanting to make if I cant borrow a bag. I never expected it to go his long honestly. When I tell my buyers a date i give them something i know i can make even if the worst is to happen. To me they should have been up front about the material shortage from the very start.

I think it is fair. I doubt if there is a lot of margin in these custom things. Their lack of communication is definitely a sign of a poor businessman. Fortunately, I've found that this is quite often the case with good craftsmen.

DAA

I'd do whatever seemed like was best for me, given the circumstances.

If you have a trip coming up soon you're welcome to borrow my Zpacks 30* though. Or my Feathered Friends 20*. I don't think I'll be backpacking anytime real soon.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

That would drive me nuts. That seems like a horrible policy. I would think they get shipped out on a first come first serve basis. It seems like you got screwed because you were willing to be a little flexible.

I really like Joe's bags, but I wasn't super impressed with his shelters. If it were me, I'd get a refund and find another bag from another company. (Though he arguably makes the lightest and warmest bags out there). I have an enlightened equipment quilt that I love. You're welcome to check it out.

If no other bag will make you happy, give him an aggressive date like next week and see if he makes you a priority.

That would bug me enough to tell him he lost a customer and move on. He is giving preferential treatment to his customers, and he never implied that not picking a due date could potentially move your order back. Kind of a crappy policy, especially if it isn't fully explained to customers until after the fact. I'm not saying I could run a gear business any better, but that would be enough to make me not want to support his business. I get that mistakes happen, but you paid a lot of money. It's cool he us offering a discount, but that doesn't help you get your bag any sooner.

Last edited:

DAA

Sounds like typical "cottage" PITA. You hear similar and worse all the time about pretty much all the small custom or semi-custom gear makers. If you want to avoid any possibility of having these kinds of issues, buy off the shelf. But if you custom order, I don't care what it is, sleeping bag, rifle, axle, counter top, don't be surprised when stuff like this happens.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I agree that cottage gear can be a bit of a hassle, but it doesn't always have to be. I've had excellent experienced with hmg, Ruta locura, tarptent, titanium goat, enlightened equipment, and several other small cottage companies

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I would be happy as can be with the 50 dollar discount. You did get hosed, no question, but I love my Zpacks enough to wait. You can borrow my bag again if you need.

Rock Taco

If you have a trip coming up soon you're welcome to borrow my Zpacks 30* though. Or my Feathered Friends 20*. I don't think I'll be backpacking anytime real soon.

- DAA

I have an enlightened equipment quilt that I love. You're welcome to check it out.

You can borrow my bag again if you need.

This is why I like this group so much. Davy I will take you up on that. Can I come get it Thursday?

That seems like a horrible policy. I would think they get shipped out on a first come first serve basis. It seems like you got screwed because you were willing to be a little flexible.

I really like Joe's bags, but I wasn't super impressed with his shelters. If it were me, I'd get a refund and find another bag from another company. (Though he arguably makes the lightest and warmest bags out there). I have an enlightened equipment quilt that I love. You're welcome to check it out.

If no other bag will make you happy, give him an aggressive date like next week and see if he makes you a priority.

That would bug me enough to tell him he lost a customer and move on. He is giving preferential treatment to his customers, and he never implied that not picking a due date could potentially move your order back. Kind of a crappy policy, especially if it isn't fully explained to customers until after the fact.

I can see them wanting to meet deadlines for those that have a need sooner but not sacrificing the promised dates of those less demanding.

Part of my problem is I just love this bag. I don't like mummy bags and I don't like hoods so that only leaves me very few options for a light weight warm bag.

sixstringsteve
I agree that cottage gear can be a bit of a hassle, but it doesn't always have to be. I've had excellent experienced with hmg, Ruta locura, tarptent, titanium goat, enlightened equipment, and several other small cottage companies

I agree with Steve on this. Just because they are small doesn't mean they should have poor customer service. Although most of my experience with cottage companies has been a bad experience. Guess I should have known better.

I sent him an email requesting more time line information his response was as follows.

Hello Troy,

Per Fedex, the material has been picked up from Japan. It should clear customs on Friday the 25th and with any luck it will be delivered to our location on Monday the 28th. If it comes mid-day the earliest we could complete a bag is Tuesday the 29th. We could send it express mail if that would help.

Let me know what will work best for you.

Thanks,

Joe Valesko

Then I replied with the following.

I'll do option number one with the express shipping please.

I wish I had been informed from the start that by not giving a date I was essentially being put at the back of the line until those more demanding were satisfied. I was trying not to add any more pressure to the process for you guys expecting that you would meet the timeline I was given with out question (which I was fine with). I understand to a certain extent that you want to meet the deadlines of others but I believe that you should not have sacrificed the timelines you have given to your less demanding clientele for those that are unable to plan long term. For me in my line of business I have learned to under promise and over deliver, so when I was told the initial 6-7 weeks you can see why I would have expected you to stick to that.

I have heard such good things about your company from my friends who have your products that I never expected things to go south like this. I have borrowed my friends bag which is one of yours and thought it was great! That's the reason i decided to go with Zpacks.

If I decide to order from you in the future I will know I need to give a date even if its a lie.

So now I have let them set the expectation and if they cant deliver the bag next week then I don't see me ever doing business with them again.

ozzy702

I really like my Zpacks 20F bag... BUT... it was very expensive and it took a full two months to arrive from the time I ordered it. That's a really long wait when I was under the impression it was three weeks.

The BEST experiences I've had with cottage makers is with Tarptent and ULA. Absolutely top notch.

D

Deleted member 12904

So I went to Walmart bought some $3/yd fleece then busted out my wife's sewing machine and made a bag liner to help supplement my 20* kelty bag this sept-October on the deer hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I leaned something this weekend.
I spent a few nights in the cold this weekend. The temps were about 10 below what I have comfortably slept in that particular quilt before(thermarest ventra). I used my homemade ultra light quilt on top to add some to the temp rating. I found out that al the condensation would gather on the outer quilt and none of it stayed in the inner quilt. my inner quilt is down and the outer quilt is synthetic. this might be a good way to keep a down bag from wetting out in cold temps.

I had no rainfly on the tent so the condensation stayed on the bag instead of collecting on the fly.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I leaned something this weekend.
I spent a few nights in the cold this weekend. The temps were about 10 below what I have comfortably slept in that particular quilt before(thermarest ventra). I used my homemade ultra light quilt on top to add some to the temp rating. I found out that al the condensation would gather on the outer quilt and none of it stayed in the inner quilt. my inner quilt is down and the outer quilt is synthetic. this might be a good way to keep a down bag from wetting out in cold temps.

I had no rainfly on the tent so the condensation stayed on the bag instead of collecting on the fly.

That's pretty cool. I'm seriously considering going the quilt route. I absolutely hate not being able to move and turn over in a bag without getting all tangled. I also like to give my feet a bit more room than a bag can offer.

sixstringsteve

I've been using a quilt since March and I'm a big fan. I'm not sure it's the best solution for me in the winter, but I'm still experimenting.