Camping Toilet

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
What's your camping toilet set up? Do you use one? Just squat?

My family most often tows our toilet behind the truck in the form of a trailer.

For the less often times where a trailer is not used, I built a 'bumper dumper' which we have absolutely LOVED. I've had some pretty great views going potty off the back of a jeep or truck in some pretty awesome places. A toilet with a view can't be beat. But it is a little more awkward to have to use when in a group camping setting... Usually end up moving the vehicle to a different spot to potty.

I can't even remember the last time I just did a squat. My awkward self would probably fall over now.

There are some folding options that I have used, like this:

8ecadce1-0264-4c34-8b45-bdbec210ed8b

But at $80, that's a bit of coin.

Something like this for $30 seems more realistic.. but those bottom cross bars look like they are asking for a mess :puke:

71GxnbfjDbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Space isn't really a concern.. but should at least be considered.

I'd like to get something for an upcoming trip.. or should I just spend a few minutes in the neighbors backyard trying to learn to squat again?

Pike2350

We use a cassette toilet and a pop up shelter. You could just get a pop up shelter to put around the bumper dumper when needed?

Like this
XKMT- 5 Gallon 20L Portable Toilet Flush Travel Camping Outdoor/Indoor Potty Commode https://a.co/d/2hHNC4z

GigaTent Pop Up Pod Changing Room Privacy Tent – Instant Portable Outdoor Shower Tent, Camp Toilet, Rain Shelter for Camping & Beach – Lightweight & Sturdy, Easy Set Up, Foldable - with Carry Bag https://a.co/d/g0nuKNa

This looks simple
LEE FISHER SPORTS Portable Toilet with Toilet Paper, Accessory Holder-Great for Fishing, Boating, Camping, Hunting, Hiking, Outdoor Activities https://a.co/d/00ZQpWL

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I switched from a Luggable Loo to this Reliance unit:

1683518188269.png

It's a little bulkier in the truck, but I have family members who spend more time than most needing to cop a squat and they appreciate the luxury.

Myself, I'd rather just go dig a hole, when it's allowed.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Five gallon bucket with one of those screw on lids. Line it with a garbage bag. Keeps the girls happy, which helps keep me happy.

Tonkaman

I have the 1st option which is the briefcase looking one. I’ve had it nearly a decade and It’s been great. The upside to that is the small size and the wag bag capability

J-mobzz

We’ve had the same portapotty for probably the last 8-9 years. Still does the job and gets used often in the van. It’s pretty easy to dump and keep clean as long as you drop the chemical packet in. I personally like it better than dealing with bags of poop.

Last edited:

boogie_4wheel

I have a Thetford 345

The 365 is the same thing but with a larger volume holding tank which also means it is a little taller (easier to get down and up from). I chose the shorter for using under the camper shell of my personal truck.

Mine lives in my work truck 99% of the time while I'm working out in the field. An enclosed utility bed gives me all the privacy and freedom while being in a residential area 😎

More costly, but worth it. I like the design of the holding tank vs most others (like the picture Kevin posted above). The Thetford has a swing out dump tube on the top of the tank, where many others it is on the side. With it on the side you have a lot more faith in the cap sealing properly and not getting knocked loose while sliding around the truck bed.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
All of you guys with the holding tank style are blowing my mind. I have one of those also, but always saw it as a single location use item.. as in same camp all week.. I never thought about it being used as a 'overland' style use. I've been too paranoid about it leaking all over stuff.

J-mobzz

All of you guys with the holding tank style are blowing my mind. I have one of those also, but always saw it as a single location use item.. as in same camp all week.. I never thought about it being used as a 'overland' style use. I've been too paranoid about it leaking all over stuff.
Mines gone easy 50,000+ miles with me and I’ve never had it leak.

I dump it at pit toilets, porta potties on construction sites and even my toilet. It really is super easy to dump and with the chemical everything breaks down into a blue non smelly liquid.

I do recommend laying toilet paper down in the bowl before a #2 to keep it mark free.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Mine spent several trips in a double trash sack before I trusted it not to leak. And I'm still very careful to strap it down or wedge it in tight because I'm sure it would leak if it tipped.

But no issues yet, anyway,