Can someone explain CWMU in non hunting terms.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I went up Old Ward Trail on Saturday and decided to keep exploring. I continued on Skyline Drive when the roads converged and at the top where there is a split on Skyline I opted to go South rather than north. It was really pretty and there were meadows full of wild flowers that were awesome. I continued on South and eventually ended up down a trail that was meant for 4x4s and side by sides rather than my JK. I got hung up a bit on a really soft shoulder right after a steep grade and sharp turn before entering a meadow that had a CWMU sign displayed. I had never heard about CWMU and after consulting some scouting hunters on a side by side we determined that it meant the trail was okay to travel on but that we couldn't go off the road. I am understanding that this is not correct now that I am home and looked into it a little. The DWR site hasn't been much help to me trying to understand access on this land.

Can you guys help me to understand if/when this land is accessible? I'm not a hunter and don't plan to start, I'm just trying to understand what is allowed and not allowed on this land.

The area was called "Hardscrabble."

hedonist

Supporting Member
CWMU (cooperative wildlife management units)units, in my understanding are all private land. The owners and the DWR are in cooperation to allow hunting for managing herd size. Some of the owners allow trespassing, others do not. If there are no no trespassing signs, you should be ok to go explore! Hope that helps

DAA

Hardscrabble is private.

That said, it pays to know where you are. I've had guys on horseback working for the ranchers there tell me I was trespassing when I knew for damn sure I was not. Last time the guy started threatening to call the Sherriff and I told him to get his fingers doing the walking then because I knew I wasn't. He backed down and just grumbled insults as I continued my hike with my middle finger high in the air and waving at him.

- DAA

Houndoc

CWMU (cooperative wildlife management units)units, in my understanding are all private land. The owners and the DWR are in cooperation to allow hunting for managing herd size. Some of the owners allow trespassing, others do not. If there are no no trespassing signs, you should be ok to go explore! Hope that helps

That pretty much sums it up. CWMU status applies only to hunting, for other uses general trespassing laws apply.