Can we talk dogs?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Like the labrodoodle, I have a golden doodle and he's awesome. Come in lots of sizes, minimal shedding, and mine has the personality of the golden retriever, so he's super loving and just wants to make you happy all of the time. Awesome camping. I had him out when it was like 10 degrees, and every time I would put a blanket over him he'd give me a dirty look and just move somewhere else. When his hair gets longer he does turn into a bit of a dirt sponge, so it's best to keep him shorter in the summer.

Last week I was finishing some yard work and housework and I had him outside. After about 45 minutes I went to check on him to see what he was up to. The front gate was wide open, and he was just sitting on the front steps hanging out. Couldn't care less that the gate was open.

Attachments

• 20180120_223644-2.jpg
    20180120_223644-2.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 23

Houndoc

Miniature schnauzer are generally great little dogs. If you are wanting smaller and less shedding, great choice overall.

I would say they are playful, but far from hyperactive. If you want hyper, go with the heeler.

Labradoodles are great, but will be bigger. Overall more active as well.

The Miniature Schnauzers are prone to a few health problems including skin issues and seem to be slightly over represented in my diabetic patients, but not significant enough of problems that it would discourage me from recommending them.

Standard poodles is another one you may want to consider.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I love Brittany's. I just got a new Brittany pup as well. They are super smart and not difficult to train when done regularly. They have a ton of energy so if you live in an apartment or can't give them a good workout every day, they may not be right for you. They are a medium size gun dog, so they don't get overly big, maybe thigh height.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I had a Brittany growing up. He was a good dog, but very much had a mind of his own. I'm sure it has a ton to do with training, but he would split at the very slightest sign of freedom and take hours to find. Camping he would just disappear for hours on end. So in that sense he was difficult, but he was really sweet and was great with the family. I'm sure if he had more consistent training by a single person (not a couple kids) he would have been a bit easier to keep within eyeshot.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
We had a mini schnauzer growing up. He barked and whined a lot. When we'd take him camping he would just shake the whole time.

Lots of kids though meant that there wasn't a lot of dog training so that might have helped I guess.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Like the labrodoodle, I have a golden doodle and he's awesome. Come in lots of sizes, minimal shedding, and mine has the personality of the golden retriever, so he's super loving and just wants to make you happy all of the time. Awesome camping. I had him out when it was like 10 degrees, and every time I would put a blanket over him he'd give me a dirty look and just move somewhere else. When his hair gets longer he does turn into a bit of a dirt sponge, so it's best to keep him shorter in the summer.

Last week I was finishing some yard work and housework and I had him outside. After about 45 minutes I went to check on him to see what he was up to. The front gate was wide open, and he was just sitting on the front steps hanging out. Couldn't care less that the gate was open.

I found mine here the other day. He’s not real good at riding in cars? Gets so excited he pukes. Not ideal obviously so he doesn’t ride much.900C5CEE-F760-4F2F-AF77-127418674A79.jpeg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Thankfully my homie doesn't mind riding in cars. If he thinks I'm packing up for a trip, he gets in the back seat and won't budge. IMG_20170305_144226_987.jpg

RogueJeepr

Here!
Mine will wake up from a dead sleep if you mention the word "ride" or "let's go" and meet you at the door, sometimes pushing his way through calling shotgun.
Now that he's 7yrs old I have to help him get out of the jeeps but will jump in.

Speaking of rides. Do any of you have harnesses to seatbelt your dogs ???
I always worry if I had to slam on the brakes and 75lbs comes flying at me.
IMG_20180217_114606.jpg

I just took this guy for his last ride. 2 hours ago, he died in the car on the way to the Vet. He had a big heart. Wife is on her way home from work, she has no idea. Nor the kids. This will be tough telling them. At least we have 2, one year old puppies to keep us occupied.

Attachments

• IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16