Can we talk dogs?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Boxers have become one of my favorite breeds. Just wish they had less health issues. I don't notice their shedding as much as other breeds (at least it is thin hair).

We had an Alaskan Malamute when I was younger, it looked like it snowed every time he got brushed. I would love a Husky some day, but yeah the shedding I am not a fan of.
All my boxers have been very healthy. My first one died at the age of 11 of essentially a heart attack.....which is not uncommon in boxers at younger ages, but at 11 not a total shock. My last boxer we put down at about 13 years old. I think boxers like many breeds you get a lot of people back yard breeding them without any consideration of genetics. You see this really bad with French Bulldogs and is the reason why I bought our female from somebody who would provide parental genetic testing and when I bread her I did it with a stud with genetic testing.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We found a tent in our storage room that I didn’t recognize. I set it up to see what it was, and my kids BEGGED to let them sleep in it. I think we are on day 6 of the kids living like hobos in the backyard now.
last night I went out to say goodnight a couple hours after they had gone in for the night. I was intentionally quiet, as I wanted to see how their dog would react. Sure enough, as soon as I touched the tent and woke the dog, she let me know that I didn’t belong. I was glad to have the dog with the kids.
Other than this one isolated experience, having a dog is dumb.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
They designer mutt (doodle) is getting a lot of bad backyard breeding too. So far mine seems good, but he's also the less desirable cross being back crossed with a retriever instead of a poodle. He's basically a wavy/curly retriever that doesn't shed with a love for water and a weak digestive track. Can't win em all.

Coco

All my boxers have been very healthy. My first one died at the age of 11 of essentially a heart attack.....which is not uncommon in boxers at younger ages, but at 11 not a total shock. My last boxer we put down at about 13 years old. I think boxers like many breeds you get a lot of people back yard breeding them without any consideration of genetics. You see this really bad with French Bulldogs and is the reason why I bought our female from somebody who would provide parental genetic testing and when I bread her I did it with a stud with genetic testing.
True, I don't think they are as bad as people make them out to be, just hear a lot about their health. Looking back, our first boxer was very healthy also. I want to say we had to put him down when he was around 11-13. He had developed cancer, and that was really hard. When he started to decline, he declined quick. It was hard for the entire family.

They designer mutt (doodle) is getting a lot of bad backyard breeding too. So far mine seems good, but he's also the less desirable cross being back crossed with a retriever instead of a poodle. He's basically a wavy/curly retriever that doesn't shed with a love for water and a weak digestive track. Can't win em all.

Agreed, people wanting to cross breed so many different versions, its going to have negative affects.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Getting a dog was one of the worst decisions I have made. But every once in a while it is ok.
My son has been sick and puking all day. His dog has been a sweetie to him. She’s been cuddling him for a while. I think it’s disgusting to cuddle a dog.. but it makes him feel better.

596DDAB9-0289-4827-B492-618CABD48F82.jpeg

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Getting a dog was one of the worst decisions I have made. But every once in a while it is ok.
My son has been sick and puking all day. His dog has been a sweetie to him. She’s been cuddling him for a while. I think it’s disgusting to cuddle a dog.. but it makes home feel better.

View attachment 144746
That's one of the best jobs a dog can do.