Can we talk dogs?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
We had a mini schnauzer growing up. He barked and whined a lot. When we'd take him camping he would just shake the whole time.

Lots of kids though meant that there wasn't a lot of dog training so that might have helped I guess.

At a clients house today, a little dog followed me around and yapped at me for about an hour. Finding a dog that doesn't do that just shot to the top of my list. So. Freaking. Annoying.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
@johngottfredson , in my opinion you have to be willing to upgrade the physical size of the dog to get out of the yappy, annoying characteristics. I'm sure there are some individual experiences with small or mini sized dogs that are mellow and chill but I haven't really seen it personally.

Again, as anecdotal evidence, I've found that the bigger the dog the more relaxed they will be.

What are you guys wanting out of a dog? I think you should try and think of what characteristics you want then try and match those to a breed. You can certainly just pick a dog from a picture but if you try to match a dog based on how you guys live I think you're likely to have better success. You've said you want a dog that doesn't shed but they tend to have higher grooming needs. Are you willing to either brush the dog regularly or pay to have it groomed? What if the dog HATES the brush? On the other side are you willing to deal with a little hair if it means you don't need to do the brushing as frequently? Like everything in life there are trade offs and you just need to figure out which ones you are willing to give a little on. I'm sure you have already done it but look into what the type of dog was breed to do. Thats going to shed light on general, overarching characteristics you can expect to see independent of individual personality.

As much as I love my dog I really don't know that I'd get another great dane. They are really fun and very mellow but having the space to put him in a vehicle and take him camping is a huge consideration. Before we had our son if wasn't a huge problem but we really haven't taken him out (anywhere in the car) since then.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Our last dog was a mix of springer, brittany, and a touch of viszla. He was a great bird dog once he figured it out, very good with the kids/grandkids and lasted 16 years. He cost us $10 off KSL. He was the only dog my granddaughter wasn't allergic to.

Houndoc

I always encourage either harness or create for any dog in a car. I have treated several that have been injured in accidents and yes, a large dog becomes a very dangerous object in a quick stop or accident!

Personally realized the danger they can be for distracted driving when a Coonhound I used to have rested his head on mine while driving, and hi foot-long year flopped over my face!

timber (2).jpg

Houndoc

Another overlooked smaller family dog is the Beagle. One of my all time favorite breeds. Compact but without any little dog attitude. Down sides they are a hound so can be little loud at times and will follow their noses so have to be very careful with them off leash (unless hunting, don't recommend hounds off leash).

My now 14 year old beagle at one and thirteen.Anne as pup.jpgEmmie in 16.jpg

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
My brother has a beagle mix, she is a great doggo :) she definitely sheds a good amount too though. Not as much as my Heeler, but whatever her other breeds are definitely has shedding traits.

IMG_6381.jpg
IMG_6380.jpg

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
@johngottfredson , in my opinion you have to be willing to upgrade the physical size of the dog to get out of the yappy, annoying characteristics. I'm sure there are some individual experiences with small or mini sized dogs that are mellow and chill but I haven't really seen it personally.

Again, as anecdotal evidence, I've found that the bigger the dog the more relaxed they will be.

What are you guys wanting out of a dog? I think you should try and think of what characteristics you want then try and match those to a breed. You can certainly just pick a dog from a picture but if you try to match a dog based on how you guys live I think you're likely to have better success. You've said you want a dog that doesn't shed but they tend to have higher grooming needs. Are you willing to either brush the dog regularly or pay to have it groomed? What if the dog HATES the brush? On the other side are you willing to deal with a little hair if it means you don't need to do the brushing as frequently? Like everything in life there are trade offs and you just need to figure out which ones you are willing to give a little on. I'm sure you have already done it but look into what the type of dog was breed to do. Thats going to shed light on general, overarching characteristics you can expect to see independent of individual personality.

As much as I love my dog I really don't know that I'd get another great dane. They are really fun and very mellow but having the space to put him in a vehicle and take him camping is a huge consideration. Before we had our son if wasn't a huge problem but we really haven't taken him out (anywhere in the car) since then.

These are fair points that I've been considering. When I caught myself looking around for a shovel or a large rock to send that yappy mutt to the dog park in the sky, I realized that personality fit has to be number one, lifestyle fit is number two, and practical considerations are number three on the new hierarchy.

So, when I look at the best dogs that I have known that inform my thoughts on this, there are two that come to mind. Growing up my neighbor had an Australian Shepherd named Boomer. Every day after school we would fire up the four wheelers and head for the hills, and that dog figured his job in life was to herd the wheelers; as soon as the engines started he would get all fired up and happy, and start running up the trail. When we went camping one time in a blizzard he stayed right under one of the wheelers all night while his brother took off for home. That dog was always up for adventure, super loyal, smart, good natured. And a great looking dog.

Fast forward to about 13 years ago my employer had a miniature schnauzer named Loomis. That dog came with him everywhere, wasn't yappy, was fun to play with (knew some cool tricks on command,) and as a glorious bonus, the boss' truck didn't have hair all over the seat, and the dog always seemed clean and always seemed to smell faintly of shampoo.

As we've discussed what we want in a dog, we decided it will be an inside dog. Medium to small size allows it to come along with our 4 kids without making us buy a 15 passenger van, and just seems to be a more convenient size all around. Basically, the ideal dog would be a blend of Boomer and Loomis - one I can take with me in the truck every day, be my camping buddy, go running with my wife in the early morning, and not overwhelm me with hair upkeep.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Another overlooked smaller family dog is the Beagle. One of my all time favorite breeds. Compact but without any little dog attitude. Down sides they are a hound so can be little loud at times and will follow their noses so have to be very careful with them off leash (unless hunting, don't recommend hounds off leash).

My now 14 year old beagle at one and thirteen.View attachment 112404

I do think beagles are great looking dogs. I had a lab growing up that loved to run away. We'd be out playing fetch with her in the back yard and something would inspire her to head out to explore the world. Right then. As fast as her legs would carry her. By the time someone got keys or on a bike she was gone. I'm not sure I could abide another dog like that.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
There's a lot of things our dumbass lab is not very damned good at, but one of the things he gets right is staying close. If I forget and leave the gate open when I come inside he might saunter a few houses away, but never far. And as long as somebody is around, he sticks right there with you.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
^ I think that's one of the most important qualities in a dog. My sister-in-laws husky bolts as soon as he is off the leash, and won't come when called. Beer always stays close and comes at a whistle or call, he's never on a leash.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I had a neighbor call and text me and my wife a on Tuesday because she thought she saw our (white and black spotted) Dane down the street from out house. Echoing what Kevin said my dog staying close and not running off ever is something that hes always been good at. This made me skeptical of the neighbor seeing him down the street along with other things but it is such a relief to know that if I've got him out in the yard or somewhere with me that I really don't have to worry about him.

With as big a yard as you have John I think I'd be a hassle to have to worry about a dog bolting on you and your family. With a totally fenced yard its pretty easy as long as you (and the kids) are good about closing a gate but with a big open space I think I'd be a nightmare to have a runner. We've got a park across the street and it gets a lot of dog traffic. I know Charlie would love to check his pee-mail over there but I can call him back and he'll come if he looks to be headed across the street.

Houndoc

Only caution I will have on Australian Shepherds is they need a job. Without enough stimulation can become destructive. Great dog for those with lots of time and high tolerance for hair.

Our beagle doesn't bolt, just followers her nose if she is out. Never had her take off through open door or anything along those lines.

DAA

There's a lot of things our dumbass lab is not very damned good at, but one of the things he gets right is staying close. If I forget and leave the gate open when I come inside he might saunter a few houses away, but never far. And as long as somebody is around, he sticks right there with you.

Yeah that stuff didn't work with our new one either. She just clawed all the paint off the door trying to get back in.

- DAA

Tebbsjeep

What food are you guys using, and do you give your dog supplements or vitamins? We've been using 4 Health Grain Free Beef from Tractor Supply for over a year now. Our dogs didn't respond well to Science Diet our previous vet recommended, so we switched to the 4health. Their coats are pretty smooth/shiny and they seem healthy. Although one of our dogs produces more yard treasure then I think a 55lb dog should. What are your experiences?

Last edited: