Can we talk dogs?

Houndoc

This wasn’t supposed to happen until Saturday….day 60. We were going to leave for Vegas in the morning to have my BIL do the C-section first thing Saturday. Well I got a frantic call this afternoon from my wife while driving to Salt Lake to look at @Tonkaman truck. Our IG had gone into labor.

I do not have 100% confidence in our local vets and that was reinforced after this emergency visit. Everything went well with the delivery but they made a decision after that I am not happy with and elicited a WTF reaction from my BIL. When the babies were delivered thy put them into an incubator to keep them warm. After they finished the c section they put the mother in the incubator with the puppies. So now we have a dog coming out of anesthesia surrounded by 10 puppies…….yeah 10 o_O As she came out of anesthesia saying WTF she ended up biting 2 of the puppies. They both were bitten on a leg and needed a couple of stitches. My BIL will not put the mother with the puppies until she is coherent and has some reasonable awareness of her surroundings.

Anyway, 1 puppy had some developmental issues so it was put down. That leaves us with 9 puppies. Her last litter was 6 so this is a significant increase. We will be watching weights closely and probably doing some supplemental bottle feeding.

We have 2 pied, 3 brindle and I think 1 blue and 2 fawn sable and 1 blue fawn. View attachment 146742
I agree that should not put mom in with pups until she is alert.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I agree that should not put mom in with pups until she is alert.
I’ll PM you the whole story and I am sure it will leave you saying a lot of the same things my BIL said. One of the most frustrating things at the time was that none of the 3 vets in our area do after hours service and I had to travel to Salt Lake. I was surprised we couldn’t find one in Utah County. I was happy with the vet who took care of us at the Blue Pearl in Midvale.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ll PM you the whole story and I am sure it will leave you saying a lot of the same things my BIL said. One of the most frustrating things at the time was that none of the 3 vets in our area do after hours service and I had to travel to Salt Lake. I was surprised we couldn’t find one in Utah County. I was happy with the vet who took care of us at the Blue Pearl in Midvale.
We've noticed that most of the Vets we've used have stopped offering after hours service in the last few years.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We've noticed that most of the Vets we've used have stopped offering after hours service in the last few years.
It’s becoming less common. It just really sucks when the vets who do offer it are 2 hours away…..or in this case at 3 in the morning an hour 15 away. I will also say that there are some sections of the trip between Price and Spanish fork that yiu can go 105 and most the corners yiu can take at 80 in a Raptor. 😂

Houndoc

Very true, especially in/near metro areas.
Besides quality of life issues for the vets and their staff members, other reasons include improved quality of care for the patient. Most things that really do need to be done in the middle of the night need more than an hour or so of care. And in reality, an hour drive to an emergency clinic often gets the pet seen almost as quickly as getting the doctor and staff called and into the clinic.

Tonkaman

I understand not offering after hour care to the general public. I think after doing an emergency C section, the Vet may give you his number and say call if she starts bleeding out.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Very true, especially in/near metro areas.
Besides quality of life issues for the vets and their staff members, other reasons include improved quality of care for the patient. Most things that really do need to be done in the middle of the night need more than an hour or so of care. And in reality, an hour drive to an emergency clinic often gets the pet seen almost as quickly as getting the doctor and staff called and into the clinic.
with a few places in a metro area that handle ER patients I can see how clinics would stop offering it. My BIL’s clinic in Vegas does not offer it any longer for many of the reasons you mention here. However they do give clients a way to get in touch with them in the event there is a complication. But in the rural parts of the state it is definitely a signal in the changing work ethic to provide a needed service to the community when nobody offers any after hours service.

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
This wasn’t supposed to happen until Saturday….day 60. We were going to leave for Vegas in the morning to have my BIL do the C-section first thing Saturday. Well I got a frantic call this afternoon from my wife while driving to Salt Lake to look at @Tonkaman truck. Our IG had gone into labor.

I do not have 100% confidence in our local vets and that was reinforced after this emergency visit. Everything went well with the delivery but they made a decision after that I am not happy with and elicited a WTF reaction from my BIL. When the babies were delivered thy put them into an incubator to keep them warm. After they finished the c section they put the mother in the incubator with the puppies. So now we have a dog coming out of anesthesia surrounded by 10 puppies…….yeah 10 o_O As she came out of anesthesia saying WTF she ended up biting 2 of the puppies. They both were bitten on a leg and needed a couple of stitches. My BIL will not put the mother with the puppies until she is coherent and has some reasonable awareness of her surroundings.

Anyway, 1 puppy had some developmental issues so it was put down. That leaves us with 9 puppies. Her last litter was 6 so this is a significant increase. We will be watching weights closely and probably doing some supplemental bottle feeding.

We have 2 pied, 3 brindle and I think 1 blue and 2 fawn sable and 1 blue fawn. View attachment 146742
Oh man I'm glad mom is doing good. Keep me in the loop if you are looking for family's for the pups. We had to put ours down last year after the vet had found a very large and aggressive tumor, our hearts and home has not healed. And my wife really wants a new pup. Maybe we could be a good fit.

Houndoc

But in the rural parts of the state it is definitely a signal in the changing work ethic to provide a needed service to the community when nobody offers any after hours service.
It is a trade off as far as ability to meet the communities needs. Quality of life (or lack there of from long hours and always being on call) and lower pay are two of the biggest reasons that rural areas have a very difficult time recruiting vets or the ones that are there burn out.
So long as there is emergency care within a couple hours a community may overall be better served having a veterinarian that doesn't take after hours emergency than none at all.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Had my American Eskimo chase me down because I left her on shore with the wife. Sat in the nose of the Canoe once I pulled her out of the water.
My lab/boxer would do anything to get off our kayak, including jumping ship and swimming to shore. She HATES the water.