Can we talk tool chests?

Tebbsjeep

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I had a husky box like the one you are looking at. I loved it, but after a few years I outgrew it and the loaded drawers started sticking.

I went with a harbor freight 56” top and bottom. Much much higher quality than the Home Depot. HF just had a 15 or 20 percent off coupon that would have gotten you close.

There is nothing wrong with the Home Depot/Lowe’s boxes. I do think the US general are better. While working on jeeps I live out of my 30” us general 5 drawer rolling tool cart.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
You will likely be just fine with whatever box you buy. FWIW, I couldn't tell a difference in the smoothness of the drawers between them until I loaded them up. A drawer full of sockets, wrenches and ratchets weighs a ton! It was much more noticeable once loaded and yes I had them loaded up side by side at the same time to feel the difference in drawers.

One thing to watch out for is the height of the drawers. I like to store my sockets vertically on a hansen socket organizer and some boxes didn't have enough tall drawers to fit all my sockets the way I like them.

I LOVE organizing my tools. It is really calming to me. Not only am I way faster when working, but way less frustrated.

It is funny because my garage is an absolute disaster, but open my tool box and it is always organized.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Alright, lets talk chests.

As much as I hate to say it, it's one of those buy once cry once type of things. I paid dearly about 18 years ago. Before I purchased I'd stop to look at them as often as I could, but could never pull the trigger. Still happy with my purchase, but I can't help but look at newer models now and then. I have learned a few thing in my 18 years of ownership though. Hope it helps:

-There's many, many styles. Symmetrical, asymmetrical, tiny ones, HUGE ones. Beautiful and ugly. Lots of different colors to choose from as well.
-They'll never be big enough. So be sure to get a model that has the ability to expand. Start saving for the add-ons. You know you'll want them.
-Over time they will start to droop with weight and age. Just purchase new supports. That's usually a good fix.
-Don't get a chest that leaks. I know it can be hard to tell sometimes, but nobody likes a wet chest.
-NEVER lend them out to others to borrow. Especially friends or family members. They never come back the same. And then it's awkward.
-Don't brag about how nice it is, once you have one. We've all seen it. We know it's nice. We're jealous.
-Be very careful if you get more than one. I keep one at work and one at home. Some day I may try to bring the two of them together.
-Lets just be honest here. Everyone else is thinking it: Stay away from the Chinese ones.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Harbor Freight FINALLY released a top 72" chest to match the lower. Before you had to buy a 56" top and then they weren't the same size. That is going to cost me some money.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have a 13 drawer US General chest for at least 10 years and it gets used A LOT. I'd buy it again. The build quality is WAY better than most of the home improvement brands. I sold two newer crafstman boxes to buy my HF and it was a big upgrade. The bearings and metal thickness is on par with the tool truck brands.
I totally agree with Derek about being able to stand up all your sockets in your top drawer being a must have. I can't see into the top of those tall boxes so the top 1/3 of the top chest is a waste. I'd much prefer the HF chest. I will likely upgrade from the 44" to the 56" US general in the next year or two.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
What did you end up with @Kevin B. ?

I'm thinking real hard about another US General 44" box. I have one that my woodworking hand tools reside in but my other tools are spilling out of a USG 5 drawer cart and a craftsman box that has fallen apart.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
That current coupon for the 44" ones expires today. Who knows when or for how much the next coupon will be but it might be a good excuse to go pick one up.
Do it, I think you'll be very happy with that chest. Mine has held up to A LOT of use for a home shop. I just lubed the slides last week and it is even better. Probably should do that more than every 5 years.