Can we talk tool chests?

NYCEGUY01

2 weeks ago I bought a 56" lower box because they had them on sale.
There is a much more expensive "gen 2" starting to show up so the older style are on sale.

The Icon stuff is pretty expensive and the new Gen 2 stuff is getting up there as well.

If you want one of the current boxes Id grab one sooner than later.

I re-used my old Matco 26" top box.

Then I went back and bought 2 more 26" lower boxes and made a 8' x 24" top to go across them.
Those are just getting used for more storage.

My little garage was a disaster so I spent 3 days pulling out every single thing off shelves and re-organizing and just cleaning house...

Then I took my old Craftsman 26" lower box and put 8" casters on it so I can use it as a cart and be able to roll it around outside as well as in the shop.

2.jpg3.jpg

1.jpg

NYCEGUY01

Yeah yeah yeah, toolboxes. What's going on here? That's funky and I want more pics.

View attachment 163562
LOL.
My grandfather built that in the 60's. Its an old Schwnn with a little 2 stroke motor attached. I rode that damn thing all over town as a kid. Must have put 15,000 miles on it in a couple summers-He even had it registered as a motorcycle for a while.
You pedal like any normal bike and then let out the clutch and youre off...
One day Ill tear it down and get it running again.16937796056267850258668110964276.jpg

Last edited:

lhracing

I went to HF for a $8.99 tool. Walked out with one of these.

$100 off for the holiday weekend was the motivating factor. That and I knew I would need it in the future anyways so I figured I should take advantage of the sale.

I looked at the floor model in store and honestly it’s definitely no professional-grade box but it will be fine for what I need.

View attachment 163520
View attachment 163521
Now to see if I’m strong enough to get it out of my truck on my own without damaging it 😂. Shipping weight is 292.8 lbs.

*edit, got it out safe. Had to transfer it to my work truck so that the wood pallet would be set down to the ground first, then just pivoted it off the tailgate to the ground then used a appliance dolly to get it into the garage.
View attachment 163522
I want one of these for bolts, nuts and electrical lugs.

Agility Customs

Vendor
I recently sold my single 72” US General box and bought 3 of the series 3 42” tool boxes. Tonight I will get them bolted together and get my garage put back together. Not being able to walk through my garage the last 2-3 weeks waiting for these boxes has been a nightmare.

IMG_1216.jpeg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I recently sold my single 72” US General box and bought 3 of the series 3 42” tool boxes. Tonight I will get them bolted together and get my garage put back together. Not being able to walk through my garage the last 2-3 weeks waiting for these boxes has been a nightmare.

View attachment 169132
If you don't run dewalt tools I'm gonna be really confused.

Looks good Ryan!

Agility Customs

Vendor
If you don't run dewalt tools I'm gonna be really confused.

Looks good Ryan!

The flooring was free so that kind of got the color scheme set off in that direction, My old box was black and I was planning on doing black again BUT my wife insisted on Yellow so thats what we did. Its a little bright for me personally but I plan on painting my ceiling Black so that should tone down the entire garage a bit.

Plus everyone knows about the wheeler/CAT sponsorship so the fact it matches the moonbuggy is kind of cool as well.

Also I am a Milwaukee

Tonkaman

View attachment 169132
What made you decide to switch away from the 72”? Do you just prefer this drawer layout?

Are you going to fab 1 long countertop or leave it?

Agility Customs

Vendor
What made you decide to switch away from the 72”? Do you just prefer this drawer layout?

Are you going to fab 1 long countertop or leave it?

Originally I was going to get a 56" box to sit next to my 72" series 2 box and fill this same area. But I waited long enough that the series 3 stuff came out and I really wanted the boxes to be an exact match. So thats why I decided to sell the 72" box. Then when I started looking for the new setup you can buy 3 42" boxes for the same price as the new 72" box. So it saved me almost a grand to do 3 42" boxes over a 72 and 56" box.

I am going to fab a workbench with a steel top to house the boxes and pull off the casters, but that is likely not gonna happen soon. I have stuff way higher on the priority list.

Agility Customs

Vendor
I ended up getting all 3 boxes bolted together. I used 1/4" aluminum strap in between the boxes to get them spaced perfectly and to add some rigidity when bolting them together. I just about got everything put away last night and holy smokes it makes me happy that everything has its own drawer and I still have a tiny bit of room to grow into it. I highly recommend multiple smaller boxes bolted together.

Before bolting them together the smaller boxes would move under normal drawer use and know that they are bolted together its solid and no movement!

1969honda

Supporting Member
That's good to hear, work bought a new 72" Icon and I'm not a fan. The shallow drawers are all so shallow, I can't close the drawers with a set of thread chasers, or smaller tap & die kits if I leave them in their cases.