Can we talk tool chests?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Has anyone on here pulled the trigger on a 72" box recently and actually gotten it. I bought one a month ago and it still hasnt showed up...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Has anyone on here pulled the trigger on a 72" box recently and actually gotten it. I bought one a month ago and it still hasnt showed up...
I feel like one of those big banners that says "Shame on you Harbor Freight" is in order. I'll stand in the parking lot with you.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Lol, they told me 2-3 weeks in Logan and that wasn't gonna work with some other things I have going on so I decided to hold off for now.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I bought a 72” and a Yukon wooden top 46”. I got the 46”, but still no 72”.
When I picked up the Yukon The guy at HF told me if I had ordered red I would have it by now. All others colors are hard to get.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I bought a 72” and a Yukon wooden top 46”. I got the 46”, but still no 72”.
When I picked up the Yukon The guy at HF told me if I had ordered red I would have it by now. All others colors are hard to get.
How long have you been waiting for your 72? What color did you order?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I called to check on my box yesterday and I finally got someone willing to help and look up the actual ETA and I am expecting to receive the new box on February 25th... Huge Bummer if I had known it was going to take this long I would have went a different direction from the start

Pike2350

I may have to join ITC and go buy a tool box. With that said, I am a very novice "mechanic" and don't need anything too impressive. It makes me wonder if the 46" Yukon is ok, or if I should go with the 44" US General?

thoughts on the 2? I wish there was a way to compare them side by side on the site

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have the 46" yukon, and I had the 44" US general. I feel like the US general is a little better overall, but the yukon box is pretty nice for the price.
They will have each model at the HF store so you could check them out that way.

Gawynz

I blame this thread ha, so thank you. I've been putting off getting a bigger box for a while and I've got crap scattered and stacked everywhere, it drives me nuts. So, after I read this thread I figured it was time, I signed up for the ITC membership and set off to buy the US General 44" box. Then I got lucky, I wanted black but the only black one they had was in a torn box. The toolbox was in perfect condition but because the box was torn they gave me another 20% off, so 40% off total minus the price of the membership. Pretty stoked!

20210227_084843.jpg

20210227_093819.jpg

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
A few years ago, on the anniversary of my 20 years with Michelin, I bought a 56” chest and top box set from Harbor freight. Red US General Pro (I think it was called Pro back then).

the store I stopped in to ask about the chest took me to the back and showed me a perfect condition chest. The only caveat was they had lost the keys. At the time the retail was about $750. I already had a coupon for $100 off but they told me to make an offer. I offered $450, they came back with $475.

I got it home and drilled out the locks after calling and ordering two locksets with keys. The total cost of the lock sets was about $25. I really scored on that one. I really like the tool boxes and they are big enough to hold all my (ok, most of) my tools. It did take about 8 weeks to get the locks but the boxes were locked up in my garage anyway, so no problem.

for a little perspective, in 1989 I bought a used Craftsman top box and a new craftsman chest. These boxes have just simple sliders on the drawers. They served me well during the 5 years I made my living as a motorcycle mechanic and continued to serve me well even after the purchase of the harbor freight boxes. I see no reason to get rid of them now as they still hold some of my tools.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
my tool box got pushed back another little bit. Estimated delivery date is currently March 10th. I ordered it the end of December for reference.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
My minisplit install tipped the toolbox "domino" for me. Since the stack under the 'split wouldn't work, I ended up buying a HF44 and an end cabinet.

Then, since I could put so much in that set-up (more than the boxes it replaced), I ended up selling my 3 other vintage Cman stacks and did another 44 with two end cabinets.

I wish I had a 100 more of those stacks to sell! They paid for everything and I put some $$ in the bank.

Because of this thread, I drove to Orem, Lehi, Sandy x2, and Logan to get everything. I went red for simplicity.

The garage has a much different vibe, now, with all those vintage Craftsman boxes gone.

View attachment 135359

those new boxes and end cabinets look great! you should post another photo with the full picture view with the new cabinets.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My minisplit install tipped the toolbox "domino" for me. Since the stack under the 'split wouldn't work, I ended up buying a HF44 and an end cabinet.

Then, since I could put so much in that set-up (more than the boxes it replaced), I ended up selling my 3 other vintage Cman stacks and did another 44 with two end cabinets.

I wish I had a 100 more of those stacks to sell! They paid for everything and I put some $$ in the bank.

Because of this thread, I drove to Orem, Lehi, Sandy x2, and Logan to get everything. I went red for simplicity.

The garage has a much different vibe, now, with all those vintage Craftsman boxes gone.

View attachment 135357View attachment 135358View attachment 135359
I think the hot rod will make up for the loss of character 😁
Just curious about your combo. I've looked at the side drawers and if I'm not mistaken you could buy another 44 inch box for what two side drawers cost. What made you go with two drawers instead of another box.