Can we talk tool chests?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My box came in 2 weeks ago so it was only took about 2 1/2 weeks to get here. Finally got down to pick it up today but am storing it at my friends shop until I get a chance to make space for to. I was told they are discontinuing the side locker so I picked up one of those today also. B68D0526-EAB2-4DE1-A019-C15C11E10ACE.jpeg

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I never updated this thread with my experience. I originally ordered the green one and after about 10 weeks I got sick of waiting. I talked to the manager hoping to get an ETA. He then told me they had a Black one in stock. The awesome part is they credited me back almost 400 bucks for settling for the Black one. I have had my box for a little over 2 weeks now and I am a happy camper. I plan on picking up another 72" box as soon as they go on sale again.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I need a new tool box for work. Are you all still happy with the 72" HF chest? What is the inside height of the top drawer? 3 or 4"? I stack my sockets vertical in trays so I want to make sure they'll fit. Is the drawer depth 22" or is that the outside measurement of the box?

Anyone seen one of these boxes in any of the stores around Salt Lake?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
And what's the width of the inside of the wider drawers?
If you are using this all day every day. The HF box is probably not for you. I love having one in my home garage that used occasionally but I question the longevity if I opened the drawers a dozen times every day

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I went to the salt lake store on my way home from work and checked them out. They had all three of their big boxes on display. I was impressed with the quality, as much as I could see.
I have been using an old Steeltek stainless steel top and bottom box since 2007 that I bought used off a snap on truck. It’s basically a junk box, but has held up well. The HF boxes seem much better built.
I hate the drawer configurations on the 56 and 72 inch boxes. Too many tall drawers creating a wast of space. I need one big, tall drawer for my 1/4” to 1/2” sockets that all stand upright, then another taller narrower drawer for all my air tools. The rest of my drawers can all be the 2” tall drawers which create maximum storage space. I will add the side box with several more 2” drawers. All said and done it’s around $1000 unless I can find a coupon. I do wish the top box had one full length drawer like the bottom box does. I have a 36” pry bar I’ll have to keep in that drawer with all my sockets. My ocd doesn’t like that.

035D53C2-149E-4446-8B1C-90404967971D.jpeg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I owned a snap on box for the first few years of my career. I was able to purchase it at 50% off through my school. That’s the only reason I would have ever got one. I then got put in a service truck for several years, so I sold that box as it just sat empty. From what I’ve seen in the several shops I’ve worked in it comes down to moving it around. If your box stays in the same place all the time you can get by with a cheaper box. If you drag it around the shop that’s when you really need a better box. With my steeltek box I cringed every time I moved it around. Usually about once a week at my old place. It really feels like it’s going to fall apart when it hits a crack in the cement or something. It never moves now and is fine. It will work great at home now.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have that 13 drawer in the wrinkle finish. It's probably 12 years old now. I use it A LOT for a home jobber and it has had zero issues. It's much better than many of the Kennedy or Waterloo boxes we have at work. I think you'll love it.

boogie_4wheel

I've had the exact box pictured in post #105 for at least 10yrs. Also have the add on side cabinet. They've really been great. Top is full of sockets (deep sockets are vertical on a Craftsman socket holder). I should go buy another add on cabinet.

I wish the whole unit was a few inches deeper (toward the wall), but the drawers hold most hammers front to back.

Quality: the drawers don't move as smoothly as my FIL's big Snap On, but they work fine. They're not going to close themselves... It is more than adequate for a shade tree mechanic. It has survived with me working on all the junk vehicles I own, and I've never lubed the drawers.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Harbor Freight is now listing all these boxes as a "Series 2". I can't find anything different about them other than their prices went up. Maybe the series 2 just designates as a box that has extra inflation added on?

Anyone know anything about them?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Well thanks suckas, harbor freight had/has 15% off deal and I needed a little box to take to the side hustle. So naturally I bought a nice big box for the house and will take my old little box to the side hustle.

Ends today if any of you want/need/desire another