• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

Can You Install A Heater In My Garage?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Looks like it should be fairly easy to run a gas line from my utility room in the basement to the garage. Not sure about anything else though. Is this a job for a plumber or someone more specific? If you are licensed to do this sort of thing and would like a side job, hit me up. I need it done asap!

On a side note, I decided to hold off on building a shop in my backyard, so this garage will have to do for now. We just don't know if we love our new house enough to invest in a shop that we may not have long enough to really enjoy.

So anyways, let me know if/when you can help me with a heater.
Thanks,
Josh.

muleskinner

When I plumbed mine, I had a plumber run the calcs for how much gas is required for the heater, and how much my other appliances used. It would have been simple to branch off of another line, but it would have starved my house furnace or other appliances. I ended up running a one inch line from my gas meter (which was inconveniently located on the opposite side of the house) to the garage for the heater.

I sure miss having a heated, thermostat controlled garage:mad:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
When I plumbed mine, I had a plumber run the calcs for how much gas is required for the heater, and how much my other appliances used. It would have been simple to branch off of another line, but it would have starved my house furnace or other appliances. I ended up running a one inch line from my gas meter (which was inconveniently located on the opposite side of the house) to the garage for the heater.

I sure miss having a heated, thermostat controlled garage:mad:

x2, I had a forced air ceiling mount heater in my front garage and was thinking I was easily going to tie that right back to the back garage. However after running numbers we needed to go 1" out to the front garage and then 3/4" to the back.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been considering the same thing, but was thinking about a propane heater and a large propane tank to feed it, either in the shop or outside. Something like a 100# tank (or 2) to feed the fuel. Refilling it would be a pain, but I'd hope that you'd only need to do that once or twice a Winter? Depends on how often & hard you run it. At least you wouldn't have to run a NG line.

I have a wood stove in my shop, so I'd use the heater to get it up to temp, then the wood stove to keep it there.

Cascadia

Undecided
There are companies that come to where you have the tank and will fill it for you. Most cabins use propane and they just call out the gas truck and they fill it up on site.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There are companies that come to where you have the tank and will fill it for you. Most cabins use propane and they just call out the gas truck and they fill it up on site.

Good point, that is actually fairly common around here. That would make it very easy! I know you usually get a better price on it too, buying in bulk & all.

ricsrx

I run a gas rated 1/2 hose from my meter on the house to the shop, I have a valve installed on the meter and always turn it off when I am not in the shop, I only use it in the winter, I can tell that the Heater needs a 3/4 line because the BTU output is low but it will maintain 40* easily. come spring I will coil it up and put it away.

In case your wondering how well the hose will hold up, its the same hose that is used at construction sites for propane heating in the winter, I have personally witness how well it holds up to that abuse so I'm not worried about some snow getting on the hose as it is ran thru my back yard.

UFAB

Get the intel

Heater location. Length of piping required to connect from existing plumbed pipe.

Roof jack or exhaust venting through roof or wall. How much horizontal tubing if neccessary.

Desired BTU heater projected

Routing thermostat. Location

Mounting heater

Electrical 120v. Seperate line or existing circuit underated for amperage.

Go online and pull up an installation PDF from Reznor or any other heaters in your BTU size range. It has everything in it for sizing plumbing to mounting and exhaust requirements for code.

Carl
Team Fred is the go to guy on this.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Call my buddy Zac. HVAC guys can do this for you. Ill PM you his number.

I used Zac for this job and was very happy with the results. He has a buddy that has a ton of left over blow in insulation on a job they just did. He is coming over today to give me a foot of it in my attic above the garage. Just using the heater last night, I was very impressed with it. I imagine the insulation will help that much more. I also had a guy install insulation on both of my doors, and add some trim on the outside to help block the cold. All of this should make for a comfy work space.

Thanks for the heads up, Moab.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I used Zac for this job and was very happy with the results. He has a buddy that has a ton of left over blow in insulation on a job they just did. He is coming over today to give me a foot of it in my attic above the garage. Just using the heater last night, I was very impressed with it. I imagine the insulation will help that much more. I also had a guy install insulation on both of my doors, and add some trim on the outside to help block the cold. All of this should make for a comfy work space.

Thanks for the heads up, Moab.

You bet! Glad I could help you and Zak out. He is a great guy!