Can you tell me how to ID carriers with no ring gear?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
My buddy Mike just picked up two loose Jeep carriers, neither has a ring gear attached to it. One is open; the other has a lunchbox locker in it. We are trying to confirm which axles use these carriers, so we know if he can use either/both in his CJ-5.

As we Google around, every "axle identification guide" I find tells you how to ID a diff cover or an entire axle. That's useless to us, since all we have are the carriers. Does anybody know where we can find info to tell us what we have? It's gotta be out there somewhere....

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Since you asked:

1. Late last night, Mike finds KSL ad for two "Jeep carriers" for $60. One has a lunchbox locker. Seller doesn't know what they are.
2. This morning Mike goes and buys them for the $60, still without knowing what they are.
3. At lunchtime, he finds out they are Dana44 units (meaning he has no use for them at this time).
4. After lunch, Mike takes good photos of just the one with the locker and puts his own ad on KSL.
5. A guy from Beaver responds and negotiates buying it for $100. The exchange is going down as I type.
6. Now Mike has an open Dana44 carrier and $40 more than when he woke up...

... but he's still on the hunt for an AMC20 lunchbox locker for cheap.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I don't know exactly how he did it. At first we just Googled every number cast into the carriers, but we found nothing conclusive. Maybe he did it again and finally found a site with info?