Cancun, Cabo or??

Houndoc

Looking for quick, cheap and warm family trip for the week before Christmas.

3-4 days, shooting for around $600/person, airfare included.

Will be my wife, 3 kids (ages 18-23) and me.

We are not bar hoppers or luxary travel types.

Thoughts?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
The first person I think of when I think of vacations in Mexico is Lori James. I am pretty sure you know her.

She would be able to give you some good options/advice.

pkrfctr

Here's a different idea to consider. Every year I go to mexico with a group called Builders without Borders. Its a volunteer organization that goes down and builds homes for families. Its a 501c(3) organization that 100% of everyone volunteers. The cost is $400 a person plus travel and hotel. We are going to Ensenada this year. We drive down and hotels typically run $50/night/room. We leave Christmas night, spend that night in Vegas, cross the border the next day and head back Jan 2nd.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Here's a different idea to consider. Every year I go to mexico with a group called Builders without Borders. Its a volunteer organization that goes down and builds homes for families. Its a 501c(3) organization that 100% of everyone volunteers. The cost is $400 a person plus travel and hotel. We are going to Ensenada this year. We drive down and hotels typically run $50/night/room. We leave Christmas night, spend that night in Vegas, cross the border the next day and head back Jan 2nd.

When my kids get a little bit bigger we want to participate with this.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Been to Cabo and Cancun, I like the beaches in Cancun more. That said i've never stayed in Cancun proper always in Playa Del Carmen or Tulum. Cancun proper seems to be the party place which isn't my scene.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Never been to down this way. Do any of these places have surfable water? Seems all the pictures I see are of flat water.

Houndoc

The first person I think of when I think of vacations in Mexico is Lori James. I am pretty sure you know her.

She would be able to give you some good options/advice.

Yes, I know Lori well and have had her looking a little into trip prices, but honestly Travelocity is where she is fining best deals. She has looked into other trip options for us as well.

That does sound like something worth looking into for future years. This year our son and I both took our time off the week before Christmas. My son has done a couple of similar trips sponsored by Rotary in Peurto Penasco while he was in high school and loved them.

Been to Cabo and Cancun, I like the beaches in Cancun more. That said i've never stayed in Cancun proper always in Playa Del Carmen or Tulum. Cancun proper seems to be the party place which isn't my scene.

For the Cabo leaning folks, what is the beach situation? Some of what I read makes it sound like swimmable beaches are scarce.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
For the Cabo leaning folks, what is the beach situation? Some of what I read makes it sound like swimmable beaches are scarce.

The place we stayed did not have a swimmable beach, it could be dependent on the time of year you visit. The beach was beautiful with a ton of soft sand.... just couldn't go in the ocean. I've never stayed somewhere in Cancun where I couldn't swim.

SnwMnkys

I just got back a month ago from Tulum. We stayed that the Royal Catalonia Tulum. It was an all inclusive deal. Great hotel, the staff was awesome. Food was great. The beach was nice except the seaweed that washes up on shore by the ton this time of year. Didnt bother me any but most the women commented about it. There was a Sanote a 15 minute walk from the hotel you could swim in. We took shuttle taxis to Cancun to do shopping and booked excursion through the hotel to go to the Tulum ruins and a Catamaran out of Cancun to go snorkeling etc.

I'm not an all inclusive type of traveller. But it was nice not having to do anything.

Tonkaman

The place we stayed did not have a swimmable beach, it could be dependent on the time of year you visit. The beach was beautiful with a ton of soft sand.... just couldn't go in the ocean. I've never stayed somewhere in Cancun where I couldn't swim.
Why couldn’t you swim in the ocean?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Why couldn’t you swim in the ocean?

Strong rip tide. They had lifeguards all over the beach. If even waded in above your ankles they would swarm on you and shoo you away.

I just got back a month ago from Tulum. We stayed that the Royal Catalonia Tulum. .

Stayed there a few years ago, one of the better places I've stayed at.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I just got back a month ago from Tulum. We stayed that the Royal Catalonia Tulum. It was an all inclusive deal. Great hotel, the staff was awesome. Food was great. The beach was nice except the seaweed that washes up on shore by the ton this time of year. Didnt bother me any but most the women commented about it. There was a Sanote a 15 minute walk from the hotel you could swim in. We took shuttle taxis to Cancun to do shopping and booked excursion through the hotel to go to the Tulum ruins and a Catamaran out of Cancun to go snorkeling etc.

I'm not an all inclusive type of traveller. But it was nice not having to do anything.

We were in Tulum this Summer and LOVED IT! 3-4 days isn't enough though, IMO! Good start, but there is so much to see!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I will say, the flight to Cancun from Denver was pretty short, considering. We left Grand Junction at 6 AM, were in Denver for our connecting flight and in Cancun by 12:30.

Best thing we did was rent a car, we drove all over the place! Much better than waiting on a taxi service. Our time at Chichén Itzá was the highlight of my life, it was impressive! Loved it there.