Canyonlands in a stock Tacoma

cackalak

This year, I am looking to do some exploring down in Canyonlands. Going through the Maze district, Teapot, Chimney, Flint trail, etc. My Tacoma (double cab, TRD Off Road) is bone stock, down to the 31" tires. I've got a full-size spare, plugs and an air pump.

How will it do? Are there any must-have mods? It's almost new, so I don't want to ding it up too much.

Thanks.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I like sliders for any Tacoma just to help protect the body. I'm not familiar with the Maze district so I'm not sure how difficult it is, where it's canyonlands I wouldn't expect it to be an issue for a Tacoma on 31" tires.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think you'd be OK, there some big rocks and ledges along the way but if you take your time and are careful you should get thru without a problem. Spork's suggestion of rock sliders is worth considering, just to make sure you don't get any damage.

I ran much of these trails in 2016 with @Kevin B. in his pretty much stock Ford F150. We camped out at the Dollhouse and the road to get there was pretty challenging and rough in a few places, for sure the most challenging part of our trip. If you're not going to the Dollhouse, than I think you'll be perfectly fine.

These might help - https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/200-miles-of-dirt-in-canyonlands.112057/

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I can't speak to anywhere else in the Maze yet, but the Broverlander got down the Flint switchbacks, through Teapot and Land Of Standing Rocks and into the Dollhouse with no scratches and only minor rockstacking to get through one section. I got cocky on the way out and picked up a little memento on the passenger rocker, but that was my width and turn radius talking. Take it easy in the rough spots and your Tacoma will be fine, at least on the roads we were on.

cackalak

Thank you, gents! Great inputs! Thanks for the video, also.

So if I can, I will plan on getting some A/T tires (I've had good luck with BFG KO's in the past), and maybe sliders. I don't know how much truck's approach/dep angle compares to an F150, but hopefully with a good spotter (wife or me :D) and rock stacking, we will be ok. Thanks again.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Adding a set of BFG KO2's would be very wise!

Hopefully we'll see a Trip Report when you get back, I love Canyonlands and the Maze area.... with the way this Winter has been, I've been wondering what the ground looks like right now out there! Too bad there's a storm moving in, or I'd get serious about planning a Winter Maze trip.