Central Utah Car Cruise

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Is anyone interested it doing a RME car cruise? Maybe meet in somewhere early and cruise a couple canyons and grab lunch? I know mbryson would love to hit some curvy road in that G8.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd be interested as you mention. I'd be kind of interested in that highway that's down by Capital Reef. Might be more of an overnighter? Stay at Rubys Inn or something? The highway that basically drops off on both sides significantly

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm down! Roadtrips in the Jetta are pretty fun. I like Marc's suggestion of an overnighter, the section of road you're talking about is Hwy 12... epic drive!

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I'd be interested as you mention. I'd be kind of interested in that highway that's down by Capital Reef. Might be more of an overnighter? Stay at Rubys Inn or something? The highway that basically drops off on both sides significantly

Devil's Backbone you mean? Is that a highway? I thought that was a dirt/clay road.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Devil's Backbone you mean? Is that a highway? I thought that was a dirt/clay road.

Early in our marriage, probably 23 years ago? My wife and I went to Capitol Reef with her family. We were fairly newly wed at the time and VERY poor. We had a '91 Grand Prix (traded in my '82 Z28 and an '84 Cutlass Ciera for that) and got a bit tired of the camping aspect of the vacation after some bouts with weather. We drove south out of Torrey and ended up in Cedar City somehow. Part of that road scared the bejeebers out of me. The rest of it was pretty cool!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just looked up highway 12 on YouTube. I think that's it :D

Yep... we drove it in February on our way to Escalate and HITR Road. I've ridden it on a motorcycle with HIGH winds, felt like I was going to get blown right off the road! Super sketchy on a bike in wind!

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I haven't been on 12 south of Boulder. I guess I better put it on the list.

Anyway, a cruise sounds fun. I don't have anything properly cruise-able, maybe I'd rent something.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
How does the second weekend in September sound to people? I would be down to make it an overnight. No dirt roads, not taking my car down anything dirt unless I break out the Miata. I love highway 12, that would be a blast!

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Anybody in on this? I need to get my schedule locked down with the wife. I also need to decide what car to take, I am getting ready to list the Miata up for sale soon so If I want to take that car I shouldn't put it up for sale until after.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I'll map out a route to somewhere south of escalante to a camp spot, and then we can run 12 in the morning and hit a bunch of little towns on the way back up. I must warn, I have a bit of a lead foot... My wife usually sleeps canyon drives because she can't handle me having fun.