Car Hauler

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Whats the bees knees for car haulers now days? Been about 15years since i've had one. Seems prices like everything else have sky rocketed? Just need a 16' variety 7k is fine. Need something to pull the new SXS with and figure may as well get something big enough to put the 4runner on since i'm trying to get it running again. Bubba's is what I had before had no complaints, seems like a few other brands in the price range. Anyone have experience with workhorse? Probably buy new since the used market seems to be the same price as new.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My son has a Workhorse. I'm likely snagging one after my gooseneck completes sale. I've had a Bubba's and a few PJ trailers. I've liked both brands but I'd lean to the PJ due to low weight (mine didn't flex that much even though it was likely the most lightly built trailer I've had?). My gooseneck PJ is HEAVY and that's one of the reasons to go back to a single car hauler for me.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
my only complaint about my 16' big tex is the wheel pattern is 5x5 and that's less common. it's angle iron construction and I care zero cause it's been fine. it's also very light

Coco

I had a 'Trail Boss' trailer back when I had my buggy. Never heard of her, but it did the job. The welds weren't great, and I wouldnt buy another one to be honest.

The Big Bubbas utility I had was nice. My father also had one of their trailers that he has custom made and liked it. Currently have an Xtreme trailer tandem axle for my bigger SXS. Actually was told it is a car hauler trailer, so that's neat. Pretty heavy duty, but still light enough to pull with my 1/2 ton. Has some features that were 'standard' that I liked more than the standard BB model trailers. flush mounted lights being the biggest one.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
It hasn't been mentioned but I have a H&H car hauler trailer. It is 18 FT trailer, 16 with 2 ft dove tail. Absolutely love it.

shortstraw8

There is a hauler of sorts, looks to be at least 7k, for sale at the Spanish Fork Ace rents. It is behind the fence so not sure on the details, might be a good cheaper car hauler.

GER4x4

I purchased a Big Bubba's about three years ago. At the time I was living in Tucson and had purchased a Jeep in the Salt Lake area. Picking up the new trailer in Ogden for the return trip to Tucson made sense and the price was right. As I was buying the trailer without having seen it, I didn't know for sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, and was treated extremely well when I picked it up. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Toad

I have a Load Trail currently. I think whoever welded the visual stuff and whoever welded underneath are definitely 2 different people. I hated the universal spare tire mount and I have had wire issues due to the way they didn’t secure anything. I had a PJ before that that I feel was a better built trailer. I just picked up an Aluma brand trailer for my lighter loads. Very nice and quality seems very good.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a Load Trail currently. I think whoever welded the visual stuff and whoever welded underneath are definitely 2 different people. I hated the universal spare tire mount and I have had wire issues due to the way they didn’t secure anything. I had a PJ before that that I feel was a better built trailer. I just picked up an Aluma brand trailer for my lighter loads. Very nice and quality seems very good.
I just love my Load Trail dump trailer. I'm surprised that you are seeing that much difference in quality. The only issue I've had is where the license plate is mounted. It gets hammered by the gravel/dirt when I dump it.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
my only complaint about my 16' big tex is the wheel pattern is 5x5 and that's less common. it's angle iron construction and I care zero cause it's been fine. it's also very light
I’ve got one as well. The trailer itself is ok, but the 5x5 pattern is enough reason to either pass or go 6 lug.