Cardiff Fork Closure?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Take a minute and email the Forest Service official in charge of this proposal...

Things to write about...
How will other recreation users be affected?

What will be the effect on watershed conditions?

To what extent would an authorization increase the likelihood and effects of motorized encroachments onto public lands closed to motorized use?

If we let them close down MORE trails... it gets easier to close the next. This one may not be open to all users but I beleive in helping keep ALL trails open... So take a few minutes and send a email...

In order to be considered in the analysis, comments must be received by November 3, 2003. They may be addressed to:

Loren Kroenke, District Ranger
Salt Lake Ranger District
Wasatch-Cache National Forest
Salt Lake City, UT 84121,

or

Lkroenke@fs.fed.us

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
This just burns me, too. I've always had a sweet spot for Cardiff Fork. It used to be that it was the only close area to get in some wheeling. Now that it is closed, my dream was to own some property up there so I could have access to the canyon. Now that that dream is actually within the realm of possiblility, this latest load of crap attempts to smash it. Somebody give me something to smash.........

:mad:

EZ

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hurry up and fire off an email to the USFS letting them know you think owners should be able to visit their properties..... this trail may potentially have an interest to us in the future.... :mad:

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Here's my letter:

Loren Kroenke:

I recently read the article in the Salt Lake Tribune and your Scoping Report regarding motorized use in Cardiff. Please add me to any mailing list you may have regarding Cardiff Fork.

I would like to give you a little bit of background on myself. I have been enjoying Cardiff since I was a teenager. I first explored Cardiff with my parents in an old pickup truck they had in the 70's and it is my favorite location in Big Cottonwood. I have explored old mines and relics in the area alone and with landowners, Marv Melville being one of them. I have frequented the canyon in all seasons. Frankly, it was much more fun before 1992 when the gate went in. Before that time it was easier to access the canyon utilizing the existing network of old mining roads. There are still plentiful old roads in the area. I do not advocate building new roads, blazing new trails, or going off trail. All users should adhere to Tread Lightly! principles.

I think it is wrong to close the canyon to landowners. In recent years I have been interested in purchasing property on Cardiff Fork and have been in communication with Buxton's regarding a purchase in the canyon. Legally I do not believe that you can block access from landowners!! It is certainly "reasonable" to have motorized access to private land in the canyon utilizing a hundred year old road system!! I am very tired of the sorry old excuses that vehicles are causing erosion, compromising the watershed, etc. These are all very poor excuses from those who do not like watching people on motorized vehicles drive past them when they are forced to hike. If we are really concerned about the watershed then maybe we should close the state highway up Big Cottonwood canyon due to all the oil, antifreeze, fuel, etc. that eventually gets washed into the creek! A few ATV's and jeeps on weekends are simply a non-existent problem. A good spring runoff will do 100 times the erosion damage than a handful of vehicles could ever do, particularly when they stay on the existing road system.

As for "increasingly common" "conflicts between landowners and recreation users" (hikers), I seriously doubt there is one documented case. I would challenge the Forest Service to come up with a single one, particularly since motorized use in the canyon is closed to the general public! If people want to hike without the sound of a motor then they should go to any of the several other side canyons in Big Cottonwood or head to Twin Peaks Wilderness area. Without private property rights the freedoms we enjoy as Americans are worth nothing.

Sincerely,

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Just so you see how little the city owns, yet they are trying to leverage with it... losers...

ut_CardiffFork.jpg

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
"We have acquired properties for the protection of our watershed and do not want to open them for access that would be detrimental to the quality of our drinking water," Hooton said.

OK, well we know this arguement is complete and total horse****. This is typical environmentalist crap, in this case, coming from SLC. This will simply NOT stand up in court! It's a damn pity that it will cost the owners thousands in legal costs to assert their rights.

Another idea......if SL County would stand up to the plate and demand they own right of way (rs2477 style) to the road, then they trump SLC and it's a win for the landowners. I wish they would do so!!

EZ