Carnage Canyon - Buena Vista CO

Gawynz

Has anyone ever ran this trail? Stumbled across it online and it looks like a good time. Kind of reminds me of Coyote Canyon or something along those lines, short but technical. Are there additional trails around this area that'd make it worth a long weekend trip?

Agility Customs

Vendor
I would love to run it, How does it compare to rear steer? We ran that this last week and honestly it was way easier than we were lead to believe so I love to make the trek out and run it if its worth the time

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I would love to run it, How does it compare to rear steer? We ran that this last week and honestly it was way easier than we were lead to believe so I love to make the trek out and run it if its worth the time

Probably because it's had more than normal traffic through it since it became public. I'm still excited to run it, wish I could have made it down with you're group.

Carnage - BV is HARD. I cooled off on the hardcore rockcrawling when I moved to Utah in 2011, but my group in Colorado used to wheel Carnage BV. The last trip as I recall took 14 hours to go 1.5 miles, with lots of damage and winching.

Here's a video of my old group running it in 2007:

Old Chinaman Gulch is right next to Carnage BV, and much less extreme. It has some tough spots, but most of the crazy stuff has bypasses and a lot of 'small' rigs can make it. I don't mean it's easy, but it's not Carnage/Penrose hard.

Penrose is formally known as the Independence Trail system. It has 4 trails, as I recall. You can probably find out all you want to know at Colorado4x4.org.

The Patriot Trail is probably a little harder than Carnage BV, but the exits on both are vertical, long, and crazy.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Our national Jeep club, FMCA 4-Wheelers, have an annual club rally at Buena Vista each year usually right after our Ouray rally. I'm told Carnage Canyon is one of the toughest trails in the BV area with most of the guys running it having Jeeps built nearly into buggies. Where the wife and I are still working and not retired we haven't been able to hit both rallies one after the other so we focus on the Ouray rally but I would love to hit BV one year just to see what it's like.

Mike