Carpet repair folks?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Premium Member
#1
We have a little situation in my daughters room where some “slime” was spilled on the carpet a few months ago. The slime is created with a mixture of Elmer’s glue, contact lens solution and baking soda. Lovely that it’s brought to our attention at this point rather than when the glue is somewhat pliable.

We have some scrap pieces of carpet and have heard you can have chunks sewn into the existing carpet. Does anyone know who would do this kind of work and how viable of a repair such a thing is?
 

Jesser04

Well-Known Member
Location
Kaysville Utah
#2
How much is there? Cleaning it out isn’t an option? I probably have some stuff that will get it out if you can get the bulk of it off. You’d want to fish it real well after with water and a shop vac.
 

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Premium Member
#3
I think it would take a LOT of water to get the glue to soften up enough to even think about it getting it out of the carpet. I’ve had almost no luck softening the solution with anything short of direct water. I’m sure with how much is there, I’d more than soak the pad and probably the subfloor?

Spot is about 8-10” around. “Slime” fell off her bed during the night. She forgot about it for a while. I stepped on the crusty junk the other day. I’d estimate that at least 12-16 oz of glue spread itself through that area of the carpet?
 

Jesser04

Well-Known Member
Location
Kaysville Utah
#5
8-10” sounds like cutting it out is the way to go. We had to pull up our carpet when we had some water in the basement and allied in bountiful came and reseam and stretched it for 125 might be worth calling them.
 

Tonkaman

Well-Known Member
Location
Taylorsville
#6
My daughter is a slime connesear, she makes dozens of varieties of slime. That means we have had several mishaps as well.

The contact solution is the activator that breaks down the glue. I’ve learned to just apply more activator until it’s more of a liquid and vacuum it up with a shop vac. You can use more contact solution, but I far prefer liquid starch. Anything with a boron base will work.
 
Top