Catalytic converter theft prevention

STAG

Beach bummin
Location
Pleasant Grove
There is a guy that comes to our shop every now and then and buys our old cats. I think we had 4-6 last time he was here, and one alone was $1200. He would look up on his phone what each was worth as far and the stamping on them, and throw out pricing each time. He loaded them in the back of his truck that was completely full of cats, and he takes them to recycling. I would guess that whole bed was worth 20k at least. He goes to pay us and pulls out a huge wad of cash.
No paper trail of legal purchasing from you? Seems almost as sketchy (from an outsiders view) as doing it the theft way.

If he isn’t asking for a receipt or anything from you guys how would he prove that they aren’t stolen? Or that 10% of his load isn’t stolen and the other 90% are legal.

Not saying at all that he’s stealing, I’m just saying he is asking for some potential drama.
 

Coco

Well-Known Member
Location
Lehi, UT
No paper trail of legal purchasing from you? Seems almost as sketchy (from an outsiders view) as doing it the theft way.

If he isn’t asking for a receipt or anything from you guys how would he prove that they aren’t stolen? Or that 10% of his load isn’t stolen and the other 90% are legal.

Not saying at all that he’s stealing, I’m just saying he is asking for some potential drama.
I agree, IDK how he does it, or if the recyclers ask for proof on them, but I think they should. We are covered through our paper trail, but I agree he could run into problems for sure.
 
Top