CB Radio questions.

Omgbecki

Hey guys. So I finally installed my cb in the jeep. I used the tire carrier to mount my cb antenna. Anyone else use this spot and have issues? I'm really sure the cb worked when my father gave it to me so my question is, does anyone know why I am not getting any need movement when I key the Mike during calibration? I know a SWR meter would be best but I'm trying to get out of paying 30 bucks or so for something I may never use again.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Quick Questions:
Are you receiving anything? Try Ch. 19
What brand/model CB?

If you are receiving but can't broadcast, I would look at borrowing another Mic from a friend to see if its the problem.

Just thinking out loud.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Grounding has been my biggest issue on any/all antenna setups. I'd try to run a good ground to your mount and see what happens? I don't that will fix your issue but won't hurt at all and is a good thing to do.

FWIW, I did have a good setup on my JKU with a good ground off the tire carrier. IMG_3028.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Ground is important, and ground plane is necasarry depending on the antenna you have.

I have an SWR meter you are welcome to borrow. SWR won't affect your reception, but ground plane can. If you have a high SWR, you will burn up your transmitter on the CB and render it basically useless.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Grounding has been my biggest issue on any/all antenna setups. I'd try to run a good ground to your mount and see what happens? I don't that will fix your issue but won't hurt at all and is a good thing to do.

FWIW, I did have a good setup on my JKU with a good ground off the tire carrier. View attachment 113207

I am not big on stickers but I want one of those "stay on the trail or stay home" stickers...

Omgbecki

Sorry. I forgot to mention that the CB is a full size Cobra. The Mike, coax, and the antenna are all brand new. Coax and antenna being of K40 brand. I'm going to attempt to find a grounding strap or two to attach to the tire carrier and see what I get from that. If that doesn't work then I'll try the mount I bought that goes between the tail light and body. Thanks

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Watch this.

If you have followed this guy instructions and still get no movement when you key the mic and the switch is set on SWR, then congratulations... You have very low SWR's.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Also, when a person is done checking your SWR's, turn the calibration know back up all the way. That knob is also your power level, and you want every little bit of the 4 watts the gubment allows you.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
exceeding the 4w power limit carries a base fine of $4K but I doubt they'd ever stop you. They could also hit you with unauthorized equipment, since the radio isn't FCC approved for 100w, which is a $5k fine.
The real issue is you get no benefit if the person you are talking to only has 4W. They'll hear you from far away but you won't hear them.
If you want more distance and much better audio go 2m HAM.
Thurs. evening, DAA and I were getting an easy 20 miles on 2m simplex, he with 50w and me with 80w.

Omgbecki

I'm going to assume you don't get on here and shake down every guy that doesn't have full width fenders or mud flaps or a front license plate. I know your heart is in the right place though. I think you'd be surprised how many radios on the highway are actually still at that factory 4 watts. I know this radio is way too powerful for any trail radio but I'm planning a trip to Texas and this radio had saved my father's and my ass more then once. When you get stranded with no cell service in the dead of night with your kids it's nice knowing that someone somewhere can hear you. And I want you to know that I'm damn thankful for people like you and DAA that operate those HAM radios. This radio along with a HAM radio operator saved my father's life once. It's probably just superstitious vanity for me but i see it as insurance. I appreciate the words of caution. Thanks

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I will second everything frieed said against illegal CB radios and everything he said in favor of ham radio.

Now that that is out of the way, back to your CB issue. When you installed the antenna, did you properly insert the white plastic insulator (washer) in the correct place?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I don't care about the watt output of your cb radio or the legality of it. I also don't think there is much advantage in having a CB radio with more than 40 watts running through it. (I have several that do)

The CB platform is limited severely in range because of its position in the radio frequency spectrum. The frequencies which 10, 11, and 12 meter radios operate are plagued with skip, and that severely impacts local transmissions on those bands. This is why HAM radio is superior in many ways to CB.

Omgbecki

I looked into those HAM radio and am pretty interested. I'm going to look more into them after I get this issue squared.

thenag

I went through this a few years back. Somewhere I read "you can receive with a coat hanger for an antenna, but to transmit you need to have a good antenna that is tuned"

There is a lot to good antenna placement and length. As with most things, you will end up compromising antenna placement but it should work pretty well. I ended up swapping a really cool looking whip for a firestick. and made a nice mount that puts 2/3 of the antenna above the roof.

Of course with a TJ the ground plane baffles me, my father in law transmits pretty well. We both have Bearcat's that have built in SWR so you can easily check and adjust SWR.

My father in law has his antenna bolted to an OEM hole on the tailgate of his tj, his antenna doesn't stick up much above the roof and it works pretty well. He always runs with his hard top on, I don't know what that does to ground plane. I think we decided that the best place for the antenna on a tj would be in the center of the hood.

Nathan

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I looked into those HAM radio and am pretty interested. I'm going to look more into them after I get this issue squared.
I did one group trip with a $25 HAM handheld and put my cb up for sale.. there is no comparison. I added an 80w 2m rig to my truck and DAA (50w) and I got rock solid simplex reception at 20 miles. That said, you don't need a high power rig for group runs, the handheld, maybe with a $20 antenna, will do just fine.

Last edited: