CB Repair shops?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
There aren't any in this area is would trust anymore. There is a quality shop in Wells, NV and another in Loveland, CO.
What model CB is it and what problems are you experiencing?

Jeepj667

Cobra 29? The Bluetooth one. I messed up the SWR meter section. I tried to check the SWR and my antenna connection had come unscrewed. It made a buzzing noise. Now the meter doesn't work at all. I added a quick disconnect to the antenna and now I can't re-tune it. I also don't seemed to be getting out very well. Could be due to the lack of tune.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
OK, I can probably help you or point you in a few directions. The SWR meter on Cobra 29's is known to be inaccurate or at the very least, out of adjustment/alignment from the factory. I would suggest buying a separate SWR meter to check your antenna tune. The other thing is, Cobra misleads users with their SWR tuning instructions. They tell you to adjust your SWR's by turning the knob on the face. That knob controls your radio's power output. If you turn. That knob down to reduce SWR's you are lowering your output and masking a problem that will remain in your antenna system. Leave that knob cranked all the way up and take advantage of all 4 watts the gubment allows.

You can contact Cobra and see what they will do if you are still under warranty. You will probably still need to pay shipping.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This link will explain how to use a SWR meter correctly. It is very simple and easy to understand.

Everyone should use a separate SWR meter to check the tuning of their antenna system. You do not tune a radio's SWR's, you tune the antenna. Tuning a CB is a different matter and requires opening the case and an array of meters to adjust the performance and alignment of the internal functions.

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Articles/How to use a SWR meter.htm

littlyota

Nice. Good info.

There is a shop in Ogden that I have used to tune my radios. He seems pretty good. It is next door to the Outlaw bar.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I'll 2nd the guy in Ogden. He is at the NE side of the 21st Street I-15 exit, kind of inside another building (hotel?) by the Flying J truck stop. He seems to know his stuff and is pretty reasonable on pricing.

Jared

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'll 2nd the guy in Ogden. He is at the NE side of the 21st Street I-15 exit, kind of inside another building (hotel?) by the Flying J truck stop. He seems to know his stuff and is pretty reasonable on pricing.

Jared
Sadly, he passed away about a year ago. He was a great radio tech and taught a lot of people a lot of stuff about radios. Myself included.

Jeepj667

Sorry to hear about your friend, Hickey.

I'm going to get a separate SWR meter and go from there. I know about tuning the antenna. The only knob I used on the Cobra was the Cal knob. Is that the one you are talking about? I thought that just calibrated the meter needle not adjusted the power of the CB.

Hopefully my bad transmit was due to high SWR and hopefully I didn't damage anything else while using it that way. We will see when I get it re-tuned.

Thanks all,