Centerless tube polisher

Ashcat

Thread title is excessive

I’m rolling around the idea of making a tool to quickly prep tubing ends for welding. Something with a shank for drill operation. The business end would be something like 3”+ tubing with 3-4 wooden wire brushes inside.

I feel that the brushes would deform quickly and become ineffective in achieving a mill scale free finish. Flip side is they’d be great for catching some scotch brite pads which would deliver the finish I’m after. Gone are the days I had patience to prep the entire length of tube or even the joints by hand.

Thoughts or home brew tech from anyone?

Ashcat

I’ve considered something like that before and imagine how I’d put it to use. Not sure if I want to get one just yet. It might be my best option since you could hit flat surfaces like square tube and get into places to prep a location for weld anywhere on a chassis.

Maybe I’ll brush up on them and do some belt/abrasive homework.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've seen the opposite of what you're asking for cleaning the inside of tube/pipe. They use a 3/8" dowel in a drill with a slice in the end of the dowel, sorta like an old school clothes pin is made. They slip a length of emery cloth in the sliced dowel and run the drill. Basically a crude flap wheel.

For the opposite of that, maybe start with that 3" diameter tube you mentioned and slice for cuts in the tube near the bottom. Slide emery cloth in those slots and slip it over the tube to be cleaned, then pull the trigger.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Thread title is excessive

I’m rolling around the idea of making a tool to quickly prep tubing ends for welding. Something with a shank for drill operation. The business end would be something like 3”+ tubing with 3-4 wooden wire brushes inside.

I feel that the brushes would deform quickly and become ineffective in achieving a mill scale free finish. Flip side is they’d be great for catching some scotch brite pads which would deliver the finish I’m after. Gone are the days I had patience to prep the entire length of tube or even the joints by hand.

Thoughts or home brew tech from anyone?

I just use a DA when needed. Most the time i wanna say tube prep isn't required or at least the tube i end up with. If you did enough tube some like joel has at overkill racing and chassis would we sweet. https://www.instagram.com/p/CE8D0zpFX3W/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ashcat

I don’t need anything industrial just something to combat carpal tunnel and.......I don’t like the finish on his tubes.

I switched to a da for joint prep but the pads clog up too quick and again fatigue sets in/patience gets short.

The material from my supplier comes with a heavy mill lube. Obviously I wipe that with acetone but I still prefer to clean/brighten the surface before welding or dragging it through my bender.

Plan is just to use exhaust tubing of various diameters with scotch brite inside powered by a drill. Quick squirt of #2, brapppp, clean, post IG glamour shots

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, I received my tube grinder today.... its pretty much what you'd expect. Chinese grinder, the on/off switch is funky, haven't figured how to lock it powered on. It's awkward to run while holding the power switch and the tube. Need a way to mount the tube for working. When you fire it up, there is a delay as it gets the sanding belt spinning.... may just be new bearings breaking in? You can get the rollers to slip on the belt with a decent bit of pressure.

But... it works well for the intended purpose! Much better than a Flap disc, IMO.

20210217_113947.jpg

20210217_113956.jpg

20210217_114135.jpg