Chance's '84 Chevy Silverado build

Because I don't have enough projects on my hands....:rofl:

Admittedly, this thread is a little premature in starting it but I'm just going to be logging my progress of rebuilding my truck.

My very first vehicle ever was a 1973 Chevy Silverado, K10 with 4" lift and 33's, picked it up for $300 near my 16th birthday. That was back before I knew anything at all about vehicles, (I didn't know that engines needed coolant haha. I ended up ruining the engine)

Sold it and regretted it ever since. I always told myself I would pay $6k+ to buy it back, but after a while that turned out to be an unrealistic dream. This spring I picked up a '84 Silverado, SBC 350, manual SM465, long bed, 6" lift and 35's. The kid I bought it from had been doing the bodywork in his high school bodyshop class and decided he wanted a Subaru instead. The body on it was the best condition out of all of the ones in my price range (unrestored trucks), took it for a quick test drive and bought it on the spot.

2310090-1418486802-875821_1_zps4pp5um8p.jpg

IMG_7844_zpsfndppfkd.jpg

I won't go into too much detail yet on all the stuff I'm going to be doing to it, however the general picture for it is:
—Near-show-quality restomod. It will get a good paint job and straightened bodywork on it, along with some sweet custom touches.

—Will never see off-road other than the occasional dirt parking lot. (going to keep it nice as long as I can)

—Daily driver. Tired of driving my Hummer around since I sold my Duramax, I know it gets terrible gas mileage but I will live with it. It's keeping the SBC for now until a late-model motor swap is budgeted. SBC will be getting some love though.

—Tow rig for dirtbikes and the Hummer. Need something else to drive so I can build the Hummer into the off-road monster that I want it to be.

—Keep it for a very long time. After my 2nd Duramax, I decided I'm kinda phased out on the new trucks that cost an arm and leg each month to buy. Sure they are nice, reliable and comfortable, but I want just an old simple truck to baby.

After I bought it my life kinda got hectic with buying a new house and changing companies after having been with the same one for 8 years and I wasn't able to spend any time on it. Life is settling down and I am kicking this truck into gear. I still have other projects going on right now at the same time so it won't be an overnight build, but I want it done before my H3 reaches 65k miles, (currently at 57k)

Here is its current state:
IMAG0878_zpsx9gdqftx.jpg

IMAG0330_zpsqhionujv.jpg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
nice truck I still have my first vehicle ever 1982 K10 355/350 combo 3/4 swap 44/14FF 4ich lift 35s ill never get rid of it

Lots of fun memories associated with "The Beast" lol love that truck.

Chance, not sure how I feel about the rollpan with Vette lights but I believe in you

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I don't think I would like them if they were Vette lights, but I think I can pull off the 'maro lights and they'll be sweet. Gotta be different somehow :greg:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I don't think I would like them if they were Vette lights, but I think I can pull off the 'maro lights and they'll be sweet. Gotta be different somehow :greg:

I've met you - I'm pretty sure you've got different licked already.;):p

I'm very interested to see what your plans are with this truck.:)

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Starting easy, at the tailgate. It had a couple little dabs of bondo (from the previous owner) and what had seemed like 3 or 4 different paint colors, (blue, purple, black and possibly originally tan?)

IMAG1133_zpsjgbtz8y8.jpg

So I took it to the soda blaster. I have never had anything soda blasted before but I'm quite impressed with the quality of the process.

IMAG1169_zps2c5qtajd.jpg

There was only one spot that looked like it needed some minor repair. I'm definitely glad that I took the extra step to have it completely stripped to bare metal.

IMAG1170_zpsdlb9inom.jpg

I also picked up a new handle on RockAuto.com for about $9 as the old one was bent. (dealership wanted $68, Napa $37, and AutoZone $27, all were special order Ordered it Friday night and it showed up on Monday morning with just regular shipping, part quality seemed really good and I think they have a new customer.

idahoyj

Make sure the soda residue is properly dealt with prior to paint. A body shop I used to work at had a 5 year old restoration project that had all of the paint bubble off, down to metal!

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Yeah for sure I definitely will, this tailgate is going to be getting some customizing anyways so it's a little ways out before paint. But cleaning all the residue off and neutralizing the soda will def be high priority

Last edited:

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I don't know if anyone remembers me asking for someone to do some bead rolling for me a few weeks ago in another thread... But I finally found a company in California to help me out and make my tailgate filler piece to shave the handle. I wanted simple but not too boring. I came home to this today. I like it.

IMAG1173_zpsabvm1f8y.jpg