Chasing my dreams

corbin.black

So, the time has come for me to pursue something I have always wanted to do.. FLY! :)

Now that my wife is done with school (for now) it is time for me to start pursuing my childhood dreams of becoming an aviator. Over the last 6-8 months I have been trying to decide how I could make my dreams become reality. It came down to 2 choices.. re-enlist in the Army (8 years prior service) or go to college and use my GI Bill benefits. Both have pros and cons.. Army is the easy financial choice but college allows me to stay closer to home and see my family more (no more deployments). I actually talked to an Army recruiter and started the enlistment process but it didn't feel right... I told the recruiter I needed to re-evaluate my decision and make sure I wasn't making a mistake. I ended up speaking with a few Army aviators at airport 2 as well as attending an "intro flight" at SUU. I wanted to get a feel from each side before I made any final decisions. After doing both, I ultimately decided that I wanted to pursue aviation through college and that it would be a new challenge for me as I have already been in the military. I have been officially admitted to SUU's Rotor-Wing pilot program and start January 2020 :eek:

Now the fun begins! I have my work cut out for me as I prepare to move to Cedar City. I have this problem where I buy Jeeps and/or jeep parts and now have a pile of stuff that I either need to fix and keep or sell off as I will be a busy college student and won't have time to fix it. I also have to get my house prepped to be sold.. and I suck at house projects for some reason. Although I did haul 8,500 lbs of yard waste to the dump last weekend! Oh, and did I mention that my wife is currently 6 months pregnant with my child!! We did IVF in December and are expecting a son September 1!

Part of me feels extremely guilty because my wife will have to work part time after maternity leave to provide insurance for our family while I do school.. but she is amazing and wants me to continue my goals as I have put them off to help her obtain hers. I would love it if she didn't have to work so she could stay home all day with the kid but she reminds me that I have been working hard since we got married so that we could pay for her schooling out of pocket. Since I came home from basic training, I can't remember having less that 2 jobs at a time.

I am posting this up because you guys are great to interact with. I know a small handful of you personally and this forum is a great place to interact with other people when you have a busy life. I read the "making adult friends" thread.. I thought it was just me that didn't have close friends to hang out with all the time. When in reality, I have plenty of friends (you guys) that also have busy lives. I don't plan on leaving the wheeling community, in fact its just the opposite. I currently work at TeraFlex and will continue to work there until I make the move to Cedar City. I do however look forward to having my career and my hobbies be separate from one another. I actually wheel my jeep less now that I work at TeraFlex. I have learned so much from working at TeraFlex and am grateful for the experience but my true passion is to work from a cockpit high in the sky.

I attached a picture of myself in a CH-47 Chinook while on deployment from '15-'16. We actually hit some really bad turbulence which bumped me off the end of the tailgate and I had to climb back in :rofl: thank goodness for the harness!

Attachments

• Chinook.jpg
    Chinook.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 49

rholbrook

I have a brother that flys a Gulfstream right now. He has flown Lears, Saberliners and various other corporate jets. He loves to fly. I have a connection that may help you and is kind of backed by SkyWest. Do you want to fly commercially or for fun? I very good friend of mine is married to a higher up at Skywest and when I see her she always asks me if I know anyone looking to go to flight school. I can make that connection for you if you would like.

corbin.black

I have a brother that flys a Gulfstream right now. He has flown Lears, Saberliners and various other corporate jets. He loves to fly. I have a connection that may help you and is kind of backed by SkyWest. Do you want to fly commercially or for fun? I very good friend of mine is married to a higher up at Skywest and when I see her she always asks me if I know anyone looking to go to flight school. I can make that connection for you if you would like.

So I am looking to fly commercially however I am more interested in the helicopter side of things. I don't know if SkyWest has any helicoper stuff :thinking:

corbin.black

That's awesome Corbin, I started to study Aviation Science at UVU once upon a time. I love that you're following your dreams!
Thats awesome! I actually applied for their program right out of high school as was accepted but ended up going the Army and moving to Georgia for some training.

RockChucker

Good to hear Corbin. Best of luck....and you'll be just up the road from Sand Hollow. Separating Jeeps from work was the best thing I have done.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Congrats and good luck moving forward. I've mentioned other places that i'm a flight instructor just want to throw it out if you have questions on anything before you start. I actually also just received my instrument instructor rating today. This all applies to fixed wing of course.

Don't want to rain on your parade or anything just something to consider. Look around for helicopter jobs before you commit, see what requirements they have. From what i've seen most helicopter jobs even entry level aside from instructing require a **** load of hours. Just something to consider if this is the career path you are planning to take.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I worked for an air medical transport group (similar to lifeflight, but also does search and rescue) and spent a lot of time with the pilots, both fixed wing and heli. Great pay, they follow the same schedule as the flight medics - they are at the flight base full time getting paid around the clock, and between flights they just hang out, watch movies, etc. They just need to be able to boogie in a minute's notice if a call comes in. Pretty sweet gig. Downside is fixed wing is way more safe, though boring. Also, minimum 2000 hrs required to be considered.

rholbrook

So I am looking to fly commercially however I am more interested in the helicopter side of things. I don't know if SkyWest has any helicoper stuff :thinking:
No Helicopter.

I worked for an air medical transport group (similar to lifeflight, but also does search and rescue) and spent a lot of time with the pilots, both fixed wing and heli. Great pay, they follow the same schedule as the flight medics - they are at the flight base full time getting paid around the clock, and between flights they just hang out, watch movies, etc. They just need to be able to boogie in a minute's notice if a call comes in. Pretty sweet gig. Downside is fixed wing is way more safe, though boring. Also, minimum 2000 hrs required to be considered.

My brother got all his hours flying tours out of Vegas and then went to work for Life Flight flying their Mitsubishi's for several years.
When its in your blood, thats all you want to do. He says he feels guilty getting paid, even after all these years. He soloed at 14 and got his license at 16. I think now you have to be 18 but I am not sure. Last year my brother received the Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award, which is the most prestigious award the FAA issues. He has been flying for over 50 years and is still not sick of it.

My father also flew but mostly because he loved it and could own planes and use it for his businesses. Over the years he had lots of single engine planes but in the later years he had an Aerostar Comander, Cessna 340, 402,414 and 421. His favorite was the 340 but thats because he put radar and some expensive mods to make it really fast. He needed it to be able to take off on shorter runways. Cruising speeds were over 400 mph in the 340 and a ceiling of 26K feet. He had all the instrument ratings and absolutely loved flying. He said his goal was to loop his 340 before he died. Well, a brain tumor killed him before he could loop it unfortunately. As much time as I have spent in planes has not made me want to get my license. Just never had the desire.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Good for you Corbin and congrats on the new arrival!

Let me know if there is something I can do to help you chase your dreams.

Last edited:

J-mobzz

My father also flew but mostly because he loved it and could own planes and use it for his businesses. Over the years he had lots of single engine planes but in the later years he had an Aerostar Comander, Cessna 340, 402,414 and 421. His favorite was the 340 but thats because he put radar and some expensive mods to make it really fast. He needed it to be able to take off on shorter runways. Cruising speeds were over 400 mph in the 340 and a ceiling of 26K feet. He had all the instrument ratings and absolutely loved flying. He said his goal was to loop his 340 before he died. Well, a brain tumor killed him before he could loop it unfortunately. As much time as I have spent in planes has not made me want to get my license. Just never had the desire.

Was your dads job description pharmaceutical transport? Cause it sounds like he was setup to move some weight from unmarked runways.

rholbrook

Was your dads job description pharmaceutical transport? Cause it sounds like he was setup to move some weight from unmarked runways.
You would think, but he owned several companies and one he would fly employees around the US which was cheaper than flying them commercially. One of his other companies was actually a mine in Durango Mexico. Yes it was a mine and not a “pharmaceutical venture". One of the reasons he would hop up his planes was so he could take off on the very short mine dirt runway.

J-mobzz

You would think, but he owned several companies and one he would fly employees around the US which was cheaper than flying them commercially. One of his other companies was actually a mine in Durango Mexico. Yes it was a mine and not a “pharmaceutical venture". One of the reasons he would hop up his planes was so he could take off on the very short mine dirt runway.
Obviously joking Russ don’t think you’re old man was a drug dealer.

Bart

Very cool life change and I applaud the ambition and dedication you will commit to to make this work. I was wondering why SUU over UVU until you mentioned the helicopter part. I got my PPL VFR at UVU about 15 years ago and wish I had started flying at a young age so as to make a career out of it. I almost went the instructor route and decided I didn't have the patience to pull that off to build hours. Good luck on your plans, and congrats on the successful IVF.

corbin.black

Good to hear Corbin. Best of luck....and you'll be just up the road from Sand Hollow. Separating Jeeps from work was the best thing I have done.

Thanks Dave!

Congrats and good luck moving forward. I've mentioned other places that i'm a flight instructor just want to throw it out if you have questions on anything before you start. I actually also just received my instrument instructor rating today. This all applies to fixed wing of course.

Don't want to rain on your parade or anything just something to consider. Look around for helicopter jobs before you commit, see what requirements they have. From what i've seen most helicopter jobs even entry level aside from instructing require a **** load of hours. Just something to consider if this is the career path you are planning to take.

That is good to know, where are you instructing? I'm sure I will have some questions pop up. And thanks for the heads up, I know the heli jobs require a ton of hours and I will likely work at a somewhat boring job at first to build hours but I feel that it will eventually pay off when I get those hours. I also plan to get my fixed wing certifications after i'm done with school to help keep my options open.

corbin.black

I would love a gig like that. A lot of the positions I have been looking at have about the same hr requirement and have a 2 week on 2 week off schedule. I've never worked that kind of schedule but I think it sounds amazing!
Good for you Corbin and congrats on the new arrival!

Let me know if there is something I can do to help you chase your dreams.
Thanks! I appreciate it!
Very cool life change and I applaud the ambition and dedication you will commit to to make this work. I was wondering why SUU over UVU until you mentioned the helicopter part. I got my PPL VFR at UVU about 15 years ago and wish I had started flying at a young age so as to make a career out of it. I almost went the instructor route and decided I didn't have the patience to pull that off to build hours. Good luck on your plans, and congrats on the successful IVF.

Thanks! Biggest reason for SUU is my GI Bill. Second reason.. my wife and I really want to get out of the Salt Lake valley. It's way too crowded and only getting worse. We are both from small towns (Monticello / Price) so Cedar City will feel more like home to us. I actually applied for UVU right out of high school and was accepted but didn't end up going. Wish I would have but I don't regret going the military route instead. It's really cool that you and a few others have either studied aviation or received your PPL.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
That is good to know, where are you instructing? I'm sure I will have some questions pop up. And thanks for the heads up, I know the heli jobs require a ton of hours and I will likely work at a somewhat boring job at first to build hours but I feel that it will eventually pay off when I get those hours. I also plan to get my fixed wing certifications after i'm done with school to help keep my options open.