RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
My goals for the project:
I want a moderately capable wheeler, capable of trails on the level of Pritchett Canyon. It needs to seat four, be enclosed (windows, doors, roof), have heating and air conditioning, and have room for a cooler, tool bag, spare parts, etc. I want to build it cheap! I have some leftover parts from the buggy. I would like to be able to sell those parts off, as well as stock parts from the project vehicle to fund the entire project. It does not need to be street legal.

My method for building cheap has been to not plan for specific parts. I am not dead-set on any particular components. Instead, I have been looking for really good deals on parts that will work. There are really good deals that come across this board, KSL, Ebay, and local shops all the time. If you aren't looking for specific parts you can do an entire build really cheap. So far I think I've done pretty well! I am not going to post specific prices that I paid for anything, because you can't go get the same part from the same person for the same price. I will from time to time post a running total on how much I've spent, and how much I've earned from selling parts.

What I have so far:
A 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 140,00 miles. HO 4.0, 5 speed, NP231. It runs and drives great, the interior is clean, and the body is great aside from a little rust on the drivers side doors.
A high pinion front 44, Precision Gear 4.88s, Low ratio open carrier, Lock-Right, and an extra matching bare housing.
A matching Ford 9", extra 3rd member, Detroit locker.
4" lift TJ coils. These may or may not end up being what I use.
16" DIY steel beadlock wheels.
4 315 75R16 Maxxis Bighorns. Essentially they are 35x12.5x16s, except they don't sell that size without the metric stamp in the side.
A Dana 30 Powertrax locker. I was originally just going to keep the 30, but since my plans have changed I will be selling this.
A Rubicon Express hack-n-tap slip yoke eliminator.

IMG_2731 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2732 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2733 (Medium).JPG

Total spent so far: $2069.21
Minus parts sold: -$250
Running project total: $1819.21

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Will you be keeping this street legal?

I'm not going to go to much extra effort to make it street legal. Once most of the build is done, if it looks like I can easily make it legal I will. I don't see any reason It wont be legal with some flaps and flares, but we will see as it evolves. I will be cutting a lot of sheet metal away to fit tires. I don't want to make it very tall.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Fixed it for you. ;)

Looks like it'll be a good build. I've never had a problem with Cherokee's offroad and they're pretty decent on the highway too. Besides, you already know what needs to be done to it :)

Best part about the XJ is that you can hook Cody's ZJ up with a tow strap and pull him faster that he can drive under his own power. :greg:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Best part about the XJ is that you can hook Cody's ZJ up with a tow strap and pull him faster that he can drive under his own power. :greg:

:cody:

Not a problem anymore. Cody ZJ v4 is on its way :D

Braden, cool build. I would personally recomend at least making it road worthy cause it's nice to have a rig that do difficult terrain and expedition type stuff where you may encounter highway driving in the middle. Having to tow everywhere gets old.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Braden, cool build. I would personally recomend at least making it road worthy cause it's nice to have a rig that do difficult terrain and expedition type stuff where you may encounter highway driving in the middle. Having to tow everywhere gets old.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this. I think I will probably make it legal and register it.