RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
There is no worse job than wire-wheeling a dirty axle.

I pulled my front axle out yesterday. Today I cleaned it all up for paint, welded the tubes to the housing, and built a little truss to keep the long side tube from bending if (when) I jump this thing. :D

Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should weld the truss the rest of the way to the axle tube, to make it stronger, or leave it "stitched" to minimize heat warping?

attachment.php

attachment.php

The back side of the truss is welded the same way currently.

Attachments

• DSCN3141 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3141 (Medium).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCN3137 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3137 (Medium).JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 354

zukijames

What if you just ran like a 1 inch bead between the welds you have offering more strength with minimal warpage?

Truss looks good am I invited to the first jump?

There is a jump out at bfe that Robby jumped with his ifs runner .. I think I hear it calling your name!

Caleb

If you're confident in your welding, I don't think you'll gain much more strength by welding more. You could actually make it worse by making it more brittle (relative) from the heat.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Painted and re-installed. Now I'm not really sure what the next priority is... I guess I need to hit some trails, and find out!

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN3152 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3152 (Medium).JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 453

jeepfreak21

It turns out when I wired up the winch, I must have cranked too hard on one of the nuts on the top of the motor. It spun the post a little bit, which broke the solder-joint inside the motor. :eek:

Been there!! The post is a similar size and thread pitch to another nut that was included in my package, so I tried to thread it on, crossthreaded it, and spun the post! I can't remember what the nut actually went to, but I know it came in the winch box. I also remounted all my solenoids though, so maybe it came from under the plastic cover.

Anyway, LOVE this build!!
Billy

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Been there!! The post is a similar size and thread pitch to another nut that was included in my package, so I tried to thread it on, crossthreaded it, and spun the post! I can't remember what the nut actually went to, but I know it came in the winch box. I also remounted all my solenoids though, so maybe it came from under the plastic cover.

Anyway, LOVE this build!!
Billy

Thanks! I relocated my solenoid box as well, so maybe the same thing happened to mine.