Cheap MIG welder discussion.

4x4_Welder

Hobart is Miller's economy line. They used to be great industrial machines, I have an old Beta Mig 250 that is an absolute beast. They sell them at Tractor Supply. For the money they are ok. I do prefer how a Miller runs to how a Lincoln runs FWIW.

DesertRam

Gentlemen, rather than start up a new thread, I'll resurrect this older one to see if there are new opinions.

Both of my older two kids are becoming decent welders through exposure at school. My eldest, who is 17, is now in the local community college's professional welding program. She does this via dual-credit through her high school and is on track to complete the program as a certified welder shortly after graduating high school. Her younger brother is also taking an interest in welding. Between them, there is a lot of clamoring for Dad to pony up for a machine at the house. I have been putting off a purchase like this for a while, but guess I should cave in so they can start building me stuff!

The problem is, we don't really know what to buy. Based on my exposure to various machines, I want to get a MIG. It must be US-made (or at least as much as possible). I think we should go ahead and jump into a 220v machine, not because we need it for our current use, but I suspect we will in the not too distant future. I would expect that our use is similar to those on this forum - auto repair, hobby fabrication (bumpers, etc.), farm work (animal pens, etc.), and so on. For this purchase, I expect to adhere to the old adage of "buy once, cry once," meaning I want a good quality unit that will last. That said, I don't have an unlimited budget. Can I get a decent machine with "extras" like gauges, tank, etc. for around $1,500?

Based on your experience, are the recommendations provided above still valid? Hobart a good option? Miller or Lincoln? Those are names I am familiar with. I have friends and family who have run those three with good results. I know I can buy them locally, which I like. What about Esab? I'm not familiar with them but see at least one of their machines in this thread?

Thanks for any additional input.
Troy

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Gentlemen, rather than start up a new thread, I'll resurrect this older one to see if there are new opinions.

Both of my older two kids are becoming decent welders through exposure at school. My eldest, who is 17, is now in the local community college's professional welding program. She does this via dual-credit through her high school and is on track to complete the program as a certified welder shortly after graduating high school. Her younger brother is also taking an interest in welding. Between them, there is a lot of clamoring for Dad to pony up for a machine at the house. I have been putting off a purchase like this for a while, but guess I should cave in so they can start building me stuff!

The problem is, we don't really know what to buy. Based on my exposure to various machines, I want to get a MIG. It must be US-made (or at least as much as possible). I think we should go ahead and jump into a 220v machine, not because we need it for our current use, but I suspect we will in the not too distant future. I would expect that our use is similar to those on this forum - auto repair, hobby fabrication (bumpers, etc.), farm work (animal pens, etc.), and so on. For this purchase, I expect to adhere to the old adage of "buy once, cry once," meaning I want a good quality unit that will last. That said, I don't have an unlimited budget. Can I get a decent machine with "extras" like gauges, tank, etc. for around $1,500?

Based on your experience, are the recommendations provided above still valid? Hobart a good option? Miller or Lincoln? Those are names I am familiar with. I have friends and family who have run those three with good results. I know I can buy them locally, which I like. What about Esab? I'm not familiar with them but see at least one of their machines in this thread?

Thanks for any additional input.
Troy
Absolutely get a 220v machine. Given your budget, I would get the Hobart Ironman 230. The Hobart Handler 210 would be my second choice and it's much cheaper, but the Ironman 230 has much better Duty Cycle.

Most people don't have too much trouble with Duty Cycle until they start a larger project where they are welding for significantly longer periods. Duty Cycle is essentially the length of time you can weld before the machine needs a break.

There are some newer transformer based machines that can do multiprocess like MIG and Stick, or MIG TIG Stick but they all have very low Duty Cycle (at least the machines in your budget).

If your kids are passionate about welding, do your best to not hold them back. They will want a TIG machine soon, so plan on getting that in another year or two.

If you aren't a member of Tractor Supply rewards program, get on it. These welders can be bought there. They often send you discount codes via email. 10% off of a $1500 welder is a good chunk.

You will still need to get a gas bottle. Every welder comes with the required regulator (gauges).

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'd consider picking up a multiprocess machine. It's impressive what they can do now. I picked up an ESAB 215ic multiprocess last year at a local Praxair for a pretty decent price! Well, under your $1500 range. I love that I can drag it out and stick weld up some rusted gates or whatever... the mig process is super smooth on it too.

I've also heard great things about the Miller multiprocess machines too and they are in that price range.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
As I mentioned earlier, I have the miller 211 with a spool gun which allows me to weld aluminum as well. I love the machine. It is so much smaller than the large frame welders and it is 110/220. I have had large frame welders from lincoln and miller in the past and they were great so you couldn't go wrong with them either. I chose the 211 because I don't have a lot of room. My cart, lincoln tig, miller 211, and hypertherm plasma cutter take up the same space as a large frame welder. If I had the space I might have gone for a large frame.

Not related to your needs, but I recently bought a HF green flux core 140 machine. It is inverter based and weighs like 17 pounds. I find myself pulling it out to weld small projects more often than I though I would. It is night and day difference to the the black HF flux welder. This one runs as good as my lincoln 140HD did on flux core. I wouldn't buy the little green unit in place of a nicer machine, but I love having it. My son has been building all sorts of quarantine projects with it :cool:

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
IIRC Hobart is basically Miller but with slightly cheaper parts in some cases. I'm 90% sure they are made by the same company. I had a Hobart Handler for nearly 20 years, they are solid units

Tebbsjeep

IIRC Hobart is basically Miller but with slightly cheaper parts in some cases. I'm 90% sure they are made by the same company. I had a Hobart Handler for nearly 20 years, they are solid units

I bought his old welder, and it's still running great for me.

RockChucker

I believe this is correct. I've looked under the cover of Hobart units and there is Miller branding all over the place. I think @skippy could verify.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have a Hobart ironman 230 and it has been a sweet machine. It was my personal welder for 7 or 8 years and then it was our primary welder when we started Agility Customs for the first 2 years. We just recently upgraded to a new Miller 252 for really no reason other than I wanted it.

The Hobart machine says miller all over the inside of the machine.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

Hobart and miller are both owned by the same company. Miller does not own Hobart like many people believe. The two machines do share many parts, but not all parts. Every Hobart I have used ran just great.

I currently want the miller 255 or multimatic 255.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hobart and miller are both owned by the same company. Miller does not own Hobart like many people believe. The two machines do share many parts, but not all parts. Every Hobart I have used ran just great.

I currently want the miller 255 or multimatic 255.
That new 255 with pulse is in my nightly dreams.

DesertRam

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the feedback. That Ironman 230 is a solid looking unit. Maybe a bit overkill for what we're likely to do, but you never know. It's also better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have. We are members of the TSC club, and just so happen to have an active 10% coupon right now.

I also like the idea of the 210, for a couple reasons. First, it's a bit less money than the 230, while probably still filling 99% of our current and potential needs. This frees up some of the funds to buy consumables and gear, allowing the kids to get right to work and burn more steel. Second, the ability to run on 115v could be a big plus. I have a feeling that once we have this tool in our arsenal, requests for help are going to increase. One of the reasons I want to invest in a welder for the kids is to help them build a skill that they can market/barter. With a 115v unit, they can toss it in the truck and head over to the neighbor's without having to worry about power supply. I can easily see them working over a set of corrals as partial payment for a 4-H lamb. Closely related to that is the potential to run it off a generator, again expanding the "place of use."

A couple follow-up questions if you will related to shield gas. First - straight argon or a mixture for general mild steel welding projects? Second, rent or buy the bottle?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I would have no problem buying a 210. With practice they will be able to make some decent money welding for people. My 13 year old son has made a few hundred bucks this year welding. Most if it with that cheap HF green flux welder. The jobs he takes are fine for flux core. He built some cool dutch oven stands that he sold at Christmas time. I had to help a whole bunch, but it was well worth it.

If you buy a 210 you won't out grow it until your family is doing jobs that would quickly pay for a 230.

I run a CO2/argon mix with my 211 except when using the spool gun for aluminum. Then I use straight argon. I use my Powertank CO2 bottle as my back up since my big tank only runs out when the welding shop is closed :). I runs just fine on CO2.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
When it comes to gas you’ll want to run a C-25 (25% CO2, 75% argon) typically for most MiG situations, if you’re running flux core wire that’s dual shielded you’ll want 100%CO2. Tig you’ll want 100% Argon.

Renting can be cheap but if you’re wanting this to be a long term thing I’d absolutely buy. Buying typically allows you to jump from company to company For gas refills. If you rent you are stuck to one company for your refills. Plus if you own it most companies will allow you to trade it across if you need a different type of gas.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I bought my cylinder from Airgas because renting sucks. Well, then they proceeded to lose the record of me buying it so I had to prove it. I had them sign a paper that said I own the cylinder, I laminated it and it's nailed to the wall in my garage just in case it's ever an issue again.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Check KSL. 7 years ago I bought a full 200cf C25 bottle for $125 it's out of certification now but re-certify is cheap. Oh, and I'm still using that same gas that was in it.
Check the neck ring. If it's blank, then it's an owner bottle. If it has a company name on it, then it's a leased bottle and owned by the company.
I've since purchased a 200cf argon, 120cf O2, and medium size Acet. cylinder from Humphries. I have their quick exchange service so I don't have to drop it off then come back for it. Because of this the neck rings on mine say Humphries but was told by them that they have the records and if I ever move or want to sell them, let them know and they'd swap them for owner bottles.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I bought my cylinder from Airgas because renting sucks. Well, then they proceeded to lose the record of me buying it so I had to prove it. I had them sign a paper that said I own the cylinder, I laminated it and it's nailed to the wall in my garage just in case it's ever an issue again.

I have had this happen to me 2 times with owned tanks. Never a problem when I went to the same LWS, but trying to fil it elsewhere has been a problem.