Cheap MIG welder discussion.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Ya I would always ask for a copy of the bill of sale for any cylinder bigger then 80 Cubic Feet. When I worked for Norco it was policy that we had it written down and scanned onto an account created for the person so they always had proof they owned it. Norco also didn’t carry many customer owned cylinders so we had to keep crazy records on it all since the cylinders had The company name stamped on it.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I guess I'm curious about why the rental would be an issue. When I got my set up I think I paid like $20 for a 10 year rental from the place on 3rd west and like 19th south. I think it was a promo but are rentals really that bad?

I haven't really done any welding in 4 years (basically since I finished my trailer) so maybe a big bill is waiting for me when I go back in to exchange the tank.

I guess for the OP I bought a hobart 210 coming from not knowing anything at all and I was able to figure things out pretty quick and make a trailer that has done some good wheeling and haven't had any trouble with it. As I said before, I haven't used it in forever and because of that you've got me thinking about selling it and trying to recover some of that money but I do need to weld up about 8' of decorative fencing and a gate. I'm sure if I sold it I'd immediately have all my neighbors come ask for this or that and I'd come up with several projects I'd need to do as well.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I guess I'm curious about why the rental would be an issue. When I got my set up I think I paid like $20 for a 10 year rental from the place on 3rd west and like 19th south. I think it was a promo but are rentals really that bad?

Depending on the cylinder size you got that a ridiculously good deal.

Typically I’ve seen rental prices be around $10 a month for larger cylinders, I can’t remember what they are for smaller cylinders. A 10 year lease like you’re saying you did costed around $200 where I used to work.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Just like that my dad called and asked if I could weld some wheel studs on to his trailer for the spare tire. I had to wire up a 50 amp outlet for it but I got that and the little welding job done. They were perfect booger welds but its been years since that machine has run.

Guess I ought to figure out that 4' tall metal fence and gate I've been meaning to get to for 8 months now...

DesertRam

Today I did my part to stimulate. We are now the proud owners of a Hobart MVP210. On the way home from making that purchase, I stopped and bought an 80 cf tank of 75/25 and various fixings. Then I picked up the Lowe's order with all the wiring and plugs to install a 230v 50 amp plugin inside the barn and it's twin on the outside. We should be welding in a few days.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Today I did my part to stimulate. We are now the proud owners of a Hobart MVP210. On the way home from making that purchase, I stopped and bought an 80 cf tank of 75/25 and various fixings. Then I picked up the Lowe's order with all the wiring and plugs to install a 230v 50 amp plugin inside the barn and it's twin on the outside. We should be welding in a few days.
I bet your kids are STOKED! 😎

POR

Desertram.. here's my 2 cents.. I'd start out with a 110 Lincoln welder from home depot. They are portable and a pretty universal tool. They run great of a little generator if your working in the field. As their skills become more tailored in what welding they like, they can grow into another machine that more suits that welding proccess. The machine differences come in as they put more weld hrs under their belts. Most hobby welders cant tell the weld difference between the different machine manufactures. I have 7 welders ranging from 110, 220, and gas drives.. 25 yrs later my very 1st 110 Lincoln is still my most used machine to this day.