Cheap truck challenge, sick day edition

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
Home from work sick, leads to a wandering mind and boredom. Not generally a good mix. :rofl:

I watched the most recent Dirt Every Day episode where they covered the CTC 2015. This years event was more of a "weekend camper"/exploration style competition for those that haven't seen it. I love this idea of cheap and getting out there to explore. The second part of my boredom has come with pulling out my Utah Adventures trail book. My mind started to wander... let the web racing begin!

A little background before I get to the fun stuff. I currently do not have a 4x4 (well technically I have my wife's LR3 but I fear for my life if I took it offroad, even on a dirt road. She has made that specifically forbidden) just my Mini Cooper which I use for my 60 mile a day commute.

What I would like to do is be able to complete most of the trails listed in the Utah Adventures book. I have Saturdays mostly available for me, so in my head I see myself heading out super early Saturday morning and then home by nightfall. Occasionally 2 day trips could happen, but most of the time it would just be one long day I think. I tend to like unique and old 4x4's, neither of which generally do well with high mileage days and hard use haha! So I started thinking.... what vehicle would I choose to explore this state on these trails? I don't see any reason that I would need any crazy modifications, however I would most likely be traveling solo so I would like some self recovery equipment and decent capability. I think my criteria, within the scope of the CTC methodology, would be as follows:

1. Purchase price of $2015 for the vehicle
2. Modification and repair budget of $2015
3. 4x4 with low range capabilities
4. Decent MPG (mid teens would be ok)
5. Comfortable for 12-14 hour days
6. Able to maintain freeway speeds
7. The more reliable the better

I have started looking for vehicles that might fit my criteria, unfortunately my searches usually end up at some odd ball 4x4 that would be super cool and fun but meet almost none of my criteria! :eek:

So, now the web racing part. What would you pick and what modifications would you do that keep you within budget?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Jeep cherokee hands down. Smooth offroad, super easy/cheap lifts and parts. Enough room to be comfortable/haul gear. Well within the budget.

lenny

I've looked at XJ's. Definitely would be a great candidate.

I've also looked at early 90's Chevy and Ford 1/2 tons. Not sure how comfortable they would be on long dirt roads though.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I think the XJ wins too. I'm going to play according to type though and say the '84-'88 4Runner is a close second, you won't get one as clean for the same price but the ability to pop the top means a bunch. Either of them gets good tires, a lunchbox locker, and a winch. Both are super reliable and comfortable enough for a day in the seat.

An old Rodeo/Pathfinder fits the bill, I don't know about reliability but they're capable enough. Early Ranger or Explorer? Trooper? Early 1/2tons fit all your criteria except mileage.

Last edited:

lenny

I think the XJ wins too. I'm going to play according to type though and say the '84-'88 4Runner is a close second, you won't get one as clean for the same price but the ability to pop the top means a bunch. Either of them gets good tires, a lunchbox locker, and a winch. Both are super reliable and comfortable enough for a day in the seat.

An old Rodeo/Pathfinder fits the bill, I don't know about reliability but they're capable enough. Early Ranger or Explorer? Trooper? Early 1/2tons fit all your criteria except mileage.

Are the early 4runners able to maintain long freeway stretches comfortably? I've never driven one but it seems like they would be a bit down on power?

lenny

90's half ton Ford. Pick an engine and go (300/302/351), TTB to soak up the huge jumps :rofl:.
Or a similar year Bronco.

I've thought about a truck like that, my biggest concern is ride quality. I had an OBS F250 that would rattle my fillings loose on washboard roads. How do the 150's compare?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've thought about a truck like that, my biggest concern is ride quality. I had an OBS F250 that would rattle my fillings loose on washboard roads. How do the 150's compare?

Any old ford is a rough ride. However, we air down the obs 350 to about 15-20psi and its actually becomes a smooth ride on dirt roads.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I vote for the XJ or the 90's Ford. I've owned several of each, and they were the most inexpensive and reliable vehicles I've ever owned.

I would probably swap out the TTB for a solid axle though. I'd love to have a 96 Bronco.

boogie_4wheel

The OBS 250 is what pregnant women drive around to get themselves to go into labor. The 150 from that area is much much better.
My grandpa had a '90 F150 with the 300. Great truck.
Acquaintance in high school had a mid 90's F150 ex cab with a Fabtech kit. That is the 2nd fastest I've ever been across the dirt in a 4 wheeled vehicle. The front tires were munching the fenders at every compression of the suspension, but it was doing a very good clip across the whoops.
A friend's dad had a mid 90's reg/short with the 302/5spd combo, powerslides for days.

boogie_4wheel

How are the 1500 Chevy/gmc trucks?

I had a '97 gmc k15 350/60E/3.73. Bought with 90k, sold with 244k. Was a great truck. Interior was comfortable, engine and trans was easy to work on, rode very nice. Front suspension was a little soft when the going got tough. Ifs doesn't flex well, and while I never wheeled it hard and never broke a cv joint, they are the weak link.
18mpg highway, good factory headlights, good factory speakers/stereo sound with just an aftermarket head unit.
'96 had optional 3rd door, 97+ door was factory.
'96 was first year Vortec 305/350 (you want the 350 and the 3.73, not 3.42 axle), and first year passenger air bag.

I don't remember how the options worked, but I want to say that the Z71 package got you the 14 bolt semi floater instead on the 10. I do remember that the Z71 does not include the G80 factory locking diff.

My too-big toy hauler wasn't a match for that truck so I sold it, but it was definitely a favorite, minus the damn fuel pumps.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I don't remember how the options worked, but I want to say that the Z71 package got you the 14 bolt semi floater instead on the 10. I do remember that the Z71 does not include the G80 factory locking diff.

My too-big toy hauler wasn't a match for that truck so I sold it, but it was definitely a favorite, minus the damn fuel pumps.

Nope.
Z-71 wasnt a 3/4ton truck and never came with a 14-bolt (special order maybe). Most were 10bolt.
My dad had one of these trucks . The rear-axle went out just shortly after warrenty expired and the extended wanted to put in a used axle (no rebuild) . After a good fight with them they rebuilt the original axle but just a year later it died again. So I just happened to find a 6-lug 14bolt and had we that rebuilt. We sold it a few years later and got a 3/4ton with a 502cu.
Did good while we had it and sold it to a friend which said the rear was starting to growl in that truck , so he traded it in.

Something about chevy's axles never getting set up properly from the factory a tech told us.

X-5 on the XJ though.

Last edited: