Checking in from Mexico

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I have just enough internet to check in on RME and say hi... we're in the Mexican Caribbean, staying in Tulum. Yesterday we hiked around ancient Mayan ruins in Coba and climbed the tallest ruin.

It's hot and humid down here, but were staying right on the coast, so that helps!

20180604_122135.jpg

Homefryy

I just got back from there. We climbed that pyramid behind you on Wednesday. It was definitely hot and humid.
Have you gone swimming in any cenotes? We went to Grand Cenote and it was pretty awesome. I wish I could have scuba'd.

Greg

Admin
I just got back from there. We climbed that pyramid behind you on Wednesday. It was definitely hot and humid.
Have you gone swimming in any cenotes? We went to Grand Cenote and it was pretty awesome. I wish I could have scuba'd.

Awesome!! We drove past the Grand Cenote yesterday, going to swim in one later today. Where did you stay during your trip?

Homefryy

We stayed in downtown Tulum just off the main street in an AirBNB. The name of the building was Katalox.
We were only there for 2 nights. My cousin got married in Cozumel which was our main reason for going. We aren't really resort people so after the wedding my wife, my sister and 2 of my cousins and I rented a car and went to Tulum. I wish we had more time there. We pretty much only had time to go to Coba, Grand Cenote and stuff our faces with as many tacos as we could.

Katalox.JPG

Attachments

• 1528209604630.png
    1528209604630.png
    501.6 KB · Views: 0

Greg

Admin
We stayed in downtown Tulum just off the main street in an AirBNB. The name of the building was Katalox.
We were only there for 2 nights. My cousin got married in Cozumel which was our main reason for going. We aren't really resort people so after the wedding my wife, my sister and 2 of my cousins and I rented a car and went to Tulum. I wish we had more time there. We pretty much only had time to go to Coba, Grand Cenote and stuff our faces with as many tacos as we could.

View attachment 114040

Nice! We're outside of Tulum, in a small and quiet 12 room hotel called O'Tulum. Adults only!! :D Great view, food, drinks and atmosphere. We have a swim-up pool! We are here thru Sunday, so we still have plenty of time for fun.

Were headed to Chichén Itzá tomorrow, then going to hit Grand Cenote later this week. We are trying to avoid the super crowded, touristy spots but that's not always easy. We hiked Myuil today and got drenched in a massive downpour.

20180605_102229.jpg

We were there in May. It was awesome, Coba, Telum, Ek Balam (the best) and another one. Fishing was awesome (fly fishing)View attachment 114042

That's way cool, Scott! We talked about going fishing and while I would love to, I think seeing different ruins is higher on my list. If we have time, we may.

rholbrook

I love the Mexican Caribbean. Try to get there every year but I scuba dive when I get there. I have done hotels, AirBNB, rented homes from friends, bought time from Time Share owners, done it all but slept on the beach. I prefer to dive Cozumel and play south of Cancun. I love watching people on 5th Ave in Playa Del Carmen at night. I have never had any issues or felt threatened. The seaweed was bad on the beaches 2 months ago when I went. Now, I try to stay way from the touristie places and try to go to the little known places. Its cool to see all the old places like Tulum if you have never been there but I have been there so many times when I go with people that have never been. If you are LDS, you can ask for LDS guides if you want. If you have a lot of people and dont want to rent a vehicle but need a shuttle, let me know, I can hook you up. We have a guy we use as well as share with friends. He owns several vans and he picks us up, takes us shopping for food and then drops us off. Simple, and while there, we taxi or bus it.

ID Bronco

I love the Mexican Caribbean. Try to get there every year but I scuba dive when I get there. I have done hotels, AirBNB, rented homes from friends, bought time from Time Share owners, done it all but slept on the beach. I prefer to dive Cozumel and play south of Cancun. I love watching people on 5th Ave in Playa Del Carmen at night. I have never had any issues or felt threatened. The seaweed was bad on the beaches 2 months ago when I went. Now, I try to stay way from the touristie places and try to go to the little known places. Its cool to see all the old places like Tulum if you have never been there but I have been there so many times when I go with people that have never been. If you are LDS, you can ask for LDS guides if you want. If you have a lot of people and dont want to rent a vehicle but need a shuttle, let me know, I can hook you up. We have a guy we use as well as share with friends. He owns several vans and he picks us up, takes us shopping for food and then drops us off. Simple, and while there, we taxi or bus it.

Cool insights. We used Almatours.com for our ruins, but there are definately cheaper options. We wanted the lds tour guide. They were great.

Greg

Admin

We wanted to get out of the areas like Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc... we didn't want the all-inclusive, resort life, like you said. We did want a nice small, quiet hotel on the beach with excellent food. We stayed at O'Tulum, which was perfect! The best thing we did was rent a car so we could drive where we wanted, when we wanted. It was a CHEAP Chevy Spark, cost us $200 for 7 days. It was tiny, but got good mileage. I didn't like relying on a driver or tour group, so we planned our trip shooting from the hip. We mapped out where we wanted to go while we were down there. We didn't need a guide at all, but we're pretty comfortable figuring it out on our own.

Here's the Spark... X-D
20180609_065022-L.jpg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ok, maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between an LDS tour guide and another tour guide besides the obvious?

Jesser04

one Has a cooler full of beer in the trunk and a buddy who slangs blow and the other doesn’t. Well I think it’s the same guy he just doesn’t tell you about the beer and blow.