Chevy small block exhaust manifolds........ {headers?}

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So, I got my exhaust done today. It sounds SWEET, but with my rear dump manifolds I've got kind of an interesting dilemna. The dump is exactly in the way of my driveline so they've snaked a tube around for the time being.

I need to find a commonly available set of center dump (or ????) exhaust manifolds. Anybody have a vehicle source?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Good luck with center dump manifolds, I looked for a set when I swapped the SBC into my CJ and they were about impossible to find.

I eventually found some at Rawlins Wrecking in Orem. When I asked if they had any, the said no, but let me go look. After about an hour of looking I found both sides. I went up front, told them & they said they wanted something rediculous like $250 for them! I told 'em to forget it, then they asked where they were... I told them to go find them themselves! :rofl:

How about a set of short center-dump headers? I bet you can find a set under $100.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Greg said:
Good luck with center dump manifolds, I looked for a set when I swapped the SBC into my CJ and they were about impossible to find.

I eventually found some at Rawlins Wrecking in Orem. When I asked if they had any, the said no, but let me go look. After about an hour of looking I found both sides. I went up front, told them & they said they wanted something rediculous like $250 for them! I told 'em to forget it, then they asked where they were... I told them to go find them themselves! :rofl:

How about a set of short center-dump headers? I bet you can find a set under $100.

The only stockers I know of were the Corvette 'Rams Horn' jobbies. I wondered if there was a van or Gen4 F-car version or something that might work.

I'm looking at headers (www.summitracing.com), but kinda wanted to not deal with them and their leaky gaskets........

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I researched it long ago, but forgot the specific vehicles that came with them. In addition to the 'Vettes, something like late 60's trucks had center dump manifolds, too. Either one is difficult to find, and if found, very spendy.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Hey Marc my dad has a 88-89 283 with the ram horn manifolds. He's trying to sell it for $150. I don't know if this would help.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Are you running dual or single? When I linked the rear of my CJ5, exhaust routing was a major issue. This may not work for you, but I got two d-side manifolds and ran the pass side pipe in front of the engine and under the dampener, then connected to the drivers side pipe and went straight back from there. It gave me a TON of room on my pass side.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
i had vette "ram horn" manifolds on my cruiser (350) i busted one and i went to hendersons parts and they had them new for $120 i think. try them

mbryson

Supporting Member
Hickey said:
Are you running dual or single? When I linked the rear of my CJ5, exhaust routing was a major issue. This may not work for you, but I got two d-side manifolds and ran the pass side pipe in front of the engine and under the dampener, then connected to the drivers side pipe and went straight back from there. It gave me a TON of room on my pass side.

Single. I was just in the garage looking at that. I have a spare drivers side and wondered if it would bolt up to the passenger side. It looked like it would. How they ran it (and I really can't fault them--I think I'd have done the same in their shoes), I lose TONS of ground clearance. They were worried about giving the driveshaft room to move through it's arc as the suspension cycles.

That'll give me a pretty flat belly with how the D300 is clocked. :D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Hickey said:
ran the pass side pipe in front of the engine and under the dampener, then connected to the drivers side pipe and went straight back from there. It gave me a TON of room on my pass side.
thats the way I also had to do mine, but I used sanderson headers.

anvil

The SBC ram horns came on a lot of different vehicles, but the good ones came on '62 to '65 Corvettes. Ram horn manifolds from trucks and other year vettes only had 2" and smaller collectors. The good ones had 2.5" collectors. GM still sells them through the performance parts division. They aren't cheap, but I love them. Classic look, no header leaks, less noise, easy to route the crossover pipe, and great low end torque.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpartsjsp/partlist.jsp?cat=9406&section=ep
http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=105

Pace shows they're discontinued. Better hurry and find a dealer that still has some.

mbryson

Supporting Member
OK...... It looks like headers are the cost effective way to go. What's minimum flange thickness? 1/4" OK or should I step up to 3/8" flanges? I'm more inclined to go with the 3/8" flanges. Anybody used this type of header with their small block conversion? It looks like it'll be 'tight' against the motor mount (I'm using Advance Adapters type), but other than that it should be good.

The only good experience I've had with headers was on my '77 pickup with a big block. I bought some Hedman's about 6 years ago from Summit and didn't have to replace gaskets every week (in fact, I've still got replacement gaskets hanging on the wall in my garage and I don't even own a big block anymore).

Nice price, 1/4" flanges, etc.
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

AWESOME price 3/8" flanges, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMAL...ewItemQQcategoryZ34203QQitemZ4619945197QQrdZ1

I'm kinda buyer beware, so I'm not sure about the Ebay deal, but they have a LOT of feedback and most is good.

mbryson

Supporting Member
ALF said:
they pop up on ck5 all the time I can watch for some if you would like.

Cool, yeah, keep an eye out. What do they go for? I let my membership expire over there and don't have much access anymore.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164351

Hey, I'm interested in two of those manifolds. Shipping to 84101. I can't post a response or send a PM. Do you mind? Have him contact me at marc.bryson@att.net if you would :D

ALF

SURE!?
this was also posted there might be right up your ally concerning the 2.5's

"scroggin dickey was selling them for 90 something for a while i know, but dunno about these days

they are HP applications such as 63 vettes, they are more smoother in appearance than normal 2" passenger car and truck ones

the inside outlet diameter is noticeable larger on the HP ones of course, theres a good difference

good luck"